Best rider who never won a TT race
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best rider who never won a TT race
NEW STRING ???

This could test a few people.......

Can I start this off by suggesting Tony Godfrey.............
10-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Best rider who never won a TT race
Roger Marshall, Jason Griffiths, Ian Richards, Kenny Howles, Jon Ekerold, Helmut Dahne, Steve Ward - all multiple podium finishers, but no wins.
10-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

That great Australian Tom Phillis, one 2nd, four 3rds.
Another is Bill Swallow with many victories in the Manx but his best was second in the singles TT in 99. Sadly this Manx may have been his last.
10-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

James Courtney Mick Lofthouse
10-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob Jackson
11-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I had to pick the best rider who never won a TT (until 2003) it would have to be Shaun Harris.A real character and dedicated TT enthusiast,he kept turning up with just the clothes on his back until he made it.A bit more support next year would do both Shaun and the event a favour...
11-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roger Marshall, John Newbold, Neil Robinson, Geoff Barry.
12-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

agree with you 100% mike, especially geoff barry who lived in the same village as me [the infamous borrowash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
cheers, ade!
12-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lovely picture of him on Gwen Crellin's wall.
13-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Neil Robinson,that was a big loss.Fast,loved the roads,good personality...that guy would have gone far.
15-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Mick Lofthouse is the one that sticks in my mind, also if your talking about this what about people who were leading and then the race was stopped, like Chris Guy ect.

I think that Bob Jackson, Mick Lofthouse and also maybe Phil Hogg, he was a real good rider and unfortunately never even had the chance to get to the TT.

I wouldn't say Roger Marshall because I don't think he was a real road rider just the quality of the machine made him a top runner.

What about Nigel 'CAP' Davies?

Just a thought.
16-09-2003, 02:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Two from the 60,s stick in My Mind but are no longer with Us today From Italy Renso Pasolini
and Irish Rider Brian Steenson Who Died in the Late 60s while in second place To Ago in the Senior their are so many unsung Heros to many to mention but maybe some day someone will write a Book about all the Rest, I mean the Riders who make up the Bulk of the Entrys Cheers Irish Ago..
29-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Kev, Have to agree with you on Brian Steenson , he was my hero when i was a young lad! , he achieved so much in his short career ( 3 years i think), he even rode in GPs , and i think finished 7th in the Italian GP, on an aermacchi 350.Such a tragic loss to the sport he was ( as have all others).
29-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brian Steenson? Good call!!
As you say, there are so many.
Now, a book eh?
"The Rest"
or "Supporting cast"

or...
...whatever.

Ian!
Job for you!!

Mike

02-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

We all know about the winners and famous names, but I have always thought it would be good to have a book on the lesser lights, the nearly men, the names who were there or thereabouts but never quite made the top step.The riders who were the backbone of the TT and international races.I have spoken to many such names over the years, many of whom are now well forgoten about, Johnny Lockett,
Chris Conn, Fred Stevens, Ellis Boyce Peter Davey the list is endless.They let the riding do the talking.
02-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

add to your list ,Tom Thorpe.CHEERS BARNESIE.
03-10-2003, 10:29 PM