Guy Martin and Glenn Irwin in Burrows’ deal for Armoy and Ulster GP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin and Glenn Irwin in Burrows’ deal for Armoy and Ulster GP
[Image: glenirwinandburrows.jpg]

Guy Martin and Glenn Irwin are set to compete for John Burrows’ Cookstown/BE Racing team in the Supertwins class at the Armoy Road Races and Ulster Grand Prix respectively.

Dungannon team owner Burrows was keen to have his sponsors represented at both events and pressed ahead with plans to find top level replacement riders with the blessing of Jamie Hamilton, who is recuperating in hospital following his serious crash at the Isle of Man TT in June.

Hamilton has been ruled out of action for the remainder of the year but has been reassured by ex-racer Burrows that he will be able to pick up where he left off in the team as soon as he returns to fitness.

The Ballyclare rider told the News Letter last week that he intends to return to road racing despite his near-fatal accident in the Senior TT.

“I’ve spoken with Jamie and assured him that the bikes are his to ride as soon as he feels he is fit again,” Burrows said.

“We don’t want to move forward without Jamie but in the meantime we agreed to bring in some guest riders to keep the team sharp and give our great sponsors the coverage they deserve.

“Guy Martin will ride the Kawasaki 650 in the Supertwins class at Armoy while the same bike will have Glenn Irwin in the saddle at the Ulster Grand Prix,”
he added.

“Our 250 Honda will also be in action at both Armoy and Dundrod. At the minute we plan to have Michael Sweeney on it but if he isn’t fit enough I have a replacement waiting in the wings.”

Lincolnshire star Martin will be making his race debut in the Supertwins class at Armoy, where practice gets underway next Friday, July 24.

The Southern 100 Solo Champion is a loyal supporter of the ‘Race of Legends’ and is among the favourites in the feature races on the Tyco BMW.

British Supersport title contender Irwin made his roads bow in the 650cc class last year at the Ulster Grand Prix, taking an excellent fifth place.

The Carrick rider clinched a sensational runner-up finish in the second Supersport race at the North West 200 in May, where he was competing for the very first time.

Irwin will also ride his British championship Gearlink Kawasaki at Dundrod, where he is a genuine contender for the rostrum on the ZX-6R and a potential race winner on Burrows’ Kawasaki in the Supertwins races.

Burrows also confirmed that Mullingar rider Thomas Maxwell will ride the team’s 600cc Honda at Armoy, Dundrod and Killalane.

The affable team owner is a relieved man after young prospect Hamilton pulled through in the days after his 160mph TT crash, which left him in a critical condition for several days.

“Stressed is not the word for how we all felt in the days immediately after the TT crash. It was terrible for the whole team and of course more so for his family,” Burrows said.

“I can’t believe how remarkable Jamie’s progress has been in just four weeks and he’s told me he wants to race again. I couldn’t ask for a nicer kid to work with and I want him back as soon as he’s ready: the team and bikes will be here for him when that time comes around, even if it’s 2017.

“We realise it’s going to be a long process and we don’t want to rush him.

“The crash at the end of the TT was such a pity after all he had done in the previous fortnight. Jamie was eighth fastest in qualifying overall, equalled his best TT result with fifth in the Lightweight, did a personal best lap of 128.2mph and was in the running for the TT Privateers title, eventually finishing second to Dan Cooper,”
he added.

“Hopefully, he can find that form again when he returns to action. When he does, I can guarantee he will have the full support of Cookstown/Burrows Engineering Racing.”

Burrows, meanwhile, said the team’s thoughts were with the family and friends of Dr John Hinds, who was sadly killed following an accident at the Skerries 100 at the beginning of July.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
16-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Website Find Reply