Difficult weekend for Honda Racing at Brands Hatch
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Difficult weekend for Honda Racing at Brands Hatch
[Image: hondaatbrands1.jpg]

The sixth-round of the British Superbike championship at Brands Hatch has been a difficult outing for the Honda Racing squad and it's trio of riders Dan Linfoot, Jenny Tinmouth and Jason O'Halloran.

Race one started with O'Halloran 12th on the grid, but an opening lap crash meant the Australian rider was unable to continue due to damage sustained to his Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade machine. O'Halloran was thankfully unhurt after the incident.

A quick repair to the CBR from the Honda Racing crew saw O'Halloran on the grid for the second race, starting from 18th. A good start and a solid pace throughout the 20-lap race pushed the Honda rider up the grid to eventually cross the line ninth. O'Halloran maintains his fifth place in the overall championship standings with 103 points.

Meanwhile team-mate Dan Linfoot had a positive first race after starting from 22nd on the grid. Getting a fantastic start off the line the 27-year-old had made his way to tenth place before the safety car was issued. Throughout the remainder of the race Linfoot pushed hard and crossed the line in eighth place.

Race two saw the Knaresborough-rider make his way quickly to eighth after starting from tenth on the grid. However a crash on the fifth-lap at Westfield ended his weekend, Linfoot was unhurt after the fall.

The team's third rider Tinmouth made further progress and had her best outing ever at the 3.916km Grand Prix circuit. Tinmouth, 36, finished the weekend 19th and 22nd, improved her lap times and boosted her confidence further on the CBR.

The Honda Racing team will now prepare the three CBR's and run through the data collected ahead of the seventh round of the championship at Thruxton, Hampshire (31 July-2 August).

Dan Linfoot

My disappointment continues today, but in a bit of a different way. We did made a step forward in race one finishing eighth, I was a bit quicker and did find some form over the 20-laps. I started higher on the grid for race two, managed to get a good start and was in the group I wanted to be in. I just made an error braking going into Westfield and it was as simple as I couldn't get the CBR out of the gravel and crashed out. It's frustrating after the weekend we've had, but we have had some positives, which we need to take away with us and build on - it's just not the results we wanted on paper. For sure I've improved my feeling on the bike from first practice here to today, so it's now to Thruxton and hopefully it'll come together there.

Jenny Tinmouth

Race one was really good; I got a good start off the line and managed to hold my position for a few laps before the safety car was issued. Once the race resumed I held my position and then managed to get up to 18th where I finished. During the race I set a personal best lap time on the second lap and improved my qualifying time, so chuffed with that. It was a mega race and I had a long battle with Shaun Winfield and managed to nip him on the line so pleased with that. Race two wasn't so good, I didn't get the start I wanted and lost some places, I also had a battle with Aaron Zanotti and once I pasted him I managed to bridge the gap to Shaun. I'm leaving Brands happy to finish both races, improve my race pace and also get my personal best.

Jason O'Halloran

Bit of a tough day for us, race one I crashed out on the first lap, which was a little disappointing. Gave me a tough job in race two as I had to start from 18th on the grid, I got beaten up a little bit on the first lap, maybe I was just being a little overcautious from the first race incident. After that I did manage to work my way through and ended up finishing ninth, which I was happy about. We got hurt a little missing race one, so didn't have the information to move on going into race two, but all-in-all to get back to ninth was good and I'm still fifth in the championship so can't grumble too much.

Havier Beltran - Honda Racing team manager

It's been a frustrating weekend for us really; its not we've come here underprepared, just things have caught us out. Issues with Jason's ECU in the first session, then crashes and things not going well in qualifying etc. We just seem to be on the back foot going into each session with all riders, we've not progressed how we should and could have done. Dan proved in race one he can come through the pack and progress and for Jenny again she's moving forward, but things just didn't work out for us at Brands. We need to run through all the data from the weekend and move forward to the next round at Thruxton.

Race one (20-laps)

1 Josh Brookes 30:20.450
2 Richard Cooper +0.507
3 James Ellison +0.693
4 Tommy Bridewell +0.758
5 Michael Laverty +4.542
6 John Hopkins +4.626
7 Luke Mossey +5.784
8 Dan Linfoot +6.401
9 James Westmoreland +7.128
10 Billy McConnell +7.187
19 Jenny Tinmouth +1 lap