Mossey and Mainwaring Smart Shine at Thruxton
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Mossey and Mainwaring Smart Shine at Thruxton
[Image: quattroplantlogo.jpg]

The Quattro Plant Kawasaki team enjoyed an excellent day of racing at Thruxton on Sunday with both Luke Mossey and Howie Mainwaring Smart riding brilliantly in the two British Superbike Championship races, the former claiming a superb debut podium finish in the class.

The weekend couldn't have gone any better and the duo were on the pace throughout the free practice sessions and this was further confirmed in Saturday afternoon's qualifying session which resulted in Luke lining up in a brilliant third place for the opening race and Howie in tenth, only a slight problem for the latter preventing him from being higher.

Conditions at the Hampshire venue, the team's local circuit, were perfect on Sunday and the first race, shortened to 15 laps, saw both riders put in superb rides. Indeed, the pairing were at the heart of a battle for third place and although it was ultimately James Westmoreland that sealed that position, both Howie and Luke got stronger as the race wore on and they were duly rewarded with excellent fifth and sixth place positions respectively.

The second race later in the day, held over the full 20 laps, followed a similar pattern and either rider could have taken a podium position. It was Aylesford's Mainwaring Smart that looked like he'd be the one to achieve it as he slotted into third with just five laps to go. However, when second placed John Hopkins crashed out, he had to take evasive action and dropped back although he regrouped well to take an eventual seventh place.

His misfortune was Mossey's gain and with him not being held up he leapt up to third and this became second when he overhauled reigning Champion Shane Byrne with two laps remaining. Byrne ultimately regained the position but the Royston rider stuck with him and claimed his debut BSB finish in just his seventh meeting on the bike.

[Image: mosseythruxtonpodium.jpg]

Luke Mossey:

"I don't really know what to say other than it's been a brilliant weekend! It's been good right from the word go and whilst I've been getting stronger and stronger with each and every round, I didn't think I'd be able to take a podium finish so soon. We've made tremendous strides forward with the bike ever since the Snetterton test in May and I'm really enjoying riding the bike so I can't thank the team enough. I got a bit duffed up in the early stages of each race but I was confident with the pace I could run and got stronger as the race wore on. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season and am absolutely buzzing right now!”

Howie Mainwaring Smart:

"After struggling in recent rounds, it's been nice to be back fighting for positions at the sharp end and we've found something with the bike this weekend that has allowed me to get back to where I need to be. Yes, it would have been nice to have finished on the podium but I'm pleased with fifth and seventh places this weekend and pleased with the way I rode too. I didn't get the best rub of the green when John went down whilst none of the safety car periods helped either but, like I say, I'm happy and the whole team can be proud of their efforts this weekend.”

Pete Extance, Team Owner:

"It's been a fantastic weekend for the whole team and with it being our local circuit, it makes it even more special. The whole team have worked so hard and whilst we were confident coming into the round, I'm delighted with the outcome and for Luke to finish on the podium so soon in his BSB career is fantastic. Right from the word go this weekend, he was running up the front and the day started brilliantly in the first race as Howie took fifth and Luke sixth.”

"Both riders were in with a shout of the podium in the second and whilst it was Luke who prevailed, I couldn't be happier with how they performed. To have four rides and finish inside the top seven in all of them is brilliant for everyone concerned at Quattro Plant Kawasaki and it's been a brilliant meeting so thanks to everyone that's been a part of it. The aim now is to continue with this form at each of the five remaining rounds and we'll be doing our utmost to deliver.”

The next round of the series takes place at Cadwell Park on August 21-23.
03-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Website Find Reply