Superbike victory so sweet for BSB regular Peter Hickman
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Superbike victory so sweet for BSB regular Peter Hickman
[Image: petehickmanatulster2.jpg]

To win a Superbike race at the Ulster Grand Prix is one thing, but to do it in only your second year of competition at Dundrod is another altogether - and one wonders how long it will be before BSB regular Peter Hickman is snapped up but one of the leading manufacturer-supported teams.

The 28-year-old has a wealth of experience in the British Superbike paddock, but has made a significant impact on the international road racing scene since he decided to compete 'between the hedges' just over a year ago.

Of his phenomenal Superbike race two victory, the Staffordshire rider said: 

"It was a mega day for me at the Ulster, but if I'm honest, if the first Superbike race hadn't been stopped I think I could have won that, so I'm a bit gutted."

With a best lap of 132.915mph in Superbike race one, which helped him to fourth place, and a 132.597mph effort in the Superstock encounter, which he narrowly lost to treble winner Lee Johnston, it's fair to say Hickman got his head around the 7.4-mile ultra-fast Dundrod circuit.

"I absolutely love the place. It's like a fast short circuit event and as far as a road race goes, it's a proper track with fast flowing corners," explained Hickman, who said he would be back next year.

"I don't race to finish second and the goal for next year is to make sure I get a good ride for both the BSB championship and also for the roads. Ideally that would be with the same team," added Hickman, who will no doubt be on many people's radar.

At the 2014 Isle of Man TT, he obliterated Josh Brookes' newcomers' lap record, setting a new personal best of 129.104mph lap, and in June he went even quicker, taking seventhe in the Senior TT; upping his best to 131.626mph.

Despite speculation in the Dundrod paddock, Hickman rode a Superstock specification BMW S100RR in both Superbike races, finishing ahead of both Dunlop brothers, who were on high spec BMW Motorrad Superbike machinery.

The new UGP winner said: 

"I laughed when I heard what was said, as I don't even have a Superbike engine in my BSB bike. It's just a standard S1000RR engine."

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Paul Lindsay
10-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Website Find Reply