Stanley Woods
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stanley Woods
Has there ever been an autobiography written on Stanley Woods?He was a real character,there must be enough anecdotes to fill a book.
02-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Stanley Woods
Funny you should mention that as I was just thinking of that today. There was a small booklet published by the Ulster Folk Museum quite a few years ago, still reasonably easy to get, but otherwise nothing on the great man's fantastic career. I asked Stanley many years ago and if memory serves me right he did mention that a book had been started, anybody out there who can verify that or not? If not it will remain a mystery why such an interesting character and ace pre war racer who had a pin sharp memory right to the end of his life was allowed to slip the net.
I have a feeling there was a reason for this?
03-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

There was a same format booklet on the life of Rex McCandless from the museum, but his life story has just been published in a hardback book, I have just sent payment to the author in Belfast,cant wait for what surely must be an interesting read.
03-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not know if it is still available but there is a video called "An Evening with Stanley Woods" (I think) were he is chatting with David Crawford who was a friend of Stanleys. I know David well and will find out more.
06-10-2003, 11:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd forgoten about that, I have a copy of it, It's called 'A chat with Stanley' must be the same one. Available from Wood Visual,Bradford, the famous film producers.
06-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stanley appeared on "History of the TT" by Duke,not sure if its the same material but its very entertaining.
07-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The programme I think people are referring to was made by one of the Irish TV companies, possibly RTE.
In it Stanley reminisces in company with David Crawford and other long-time friends. It was taped off TV by a colleague, but the quality is not good. Was this programme ever available as a tape? The best Stanley tape I have seen.
07-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

A chat with Stanley Woods
This video is still available form Duke Video. It is excellent.
I used to meet Stanley Woods many years ago, as we both went down Broadway to fetch our TT Specials. It was in the second year of knowing this lovely man that I discovered who he was!
A niece of his was recently trying to contact the family. I wonder if she managed to do so?
08-10-2003, 06:38 AM