Superpole 29 For Sykes As Rea Makes It A Kawasaki 1-2
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Superpole 29 For Sykes As Rea Makes It A Kawasaki 1-2
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

Tom Sykes (KRT) and Jonathan Rea (KRT) headed the field after Superpole qualifying at Jerez in the FIM Superbike World Championship round, with Sykes setting a new track best of 1’40.292. Rea was just 0.208 seconds behind him and is therefore in second position on the grid for Sunday’s races.

Having both gone straight into Superpole 2 on their official Ninja ZX-10R machines, Sykes and Rea had contrasting early experiences on their first fast Superpole lap on race tyres.

Rea was quick right away and Sykes slower than he had expected to be, but in the final push for grid position. After the qualifying tyres had made an appearance Sykes swept to his 29th career pole position at pace even long term championship leader Rea could not quite match.

Rea’s overall Superpole performance was all he had hoped for in readiness to try and take the title on raceday. Recently he had not enjoyed as many front row starts as he had desired, so being ready to launch from the front row on Sunday can only build his pre-race confidence.

Both KRT riders have done long runs to evaluate their expected race-day set-ups and been happy with their race pace, in what have been good conditions from the start at a sunny Jerez de la Frontera.

[Image: kawasaki12atjerez.jpg]

Tom Sykes stated:

“A few guys are very strong so it is good to be at the front for tomorrow’s two races. I like to ride out front, that is how I like to do it. I do not like anybody behind or in front of me - I just like to go and race the tarmac. We found some clear air but had a difficult time in the first run with the race tyre, and the lap time was incredibly slow. When we put the qualifying tyre into the Ninja ZX-10R for the second run it was very easy to manage. It was such an enjoyment to ride then and to get the record was just a little bit something extra for today. Overall the target was the front row and I think our race pace is also OK.”

Jonathan Rea stated:

“I am really excited because we have done a really good job with the bike throughout the free practice sessions, and not really once this weekend have we tried to push for an out-and-out lap time. The race tyre we used at the beginning of Superpole made a really good job. Then I got a little bit too excited on the qualifying lap in T2, overcooked it a little, but I am really happy with the effort I did. To be on the front row is good because I have been acclimatised to the third row recently. The front row gives me a real chance of a good start to get stuck in. Thanks to all my guys for giving me a good bike for tomorrow.”

David Salom (Team Pedercini Kawasaki) placed 12th at his home round, having got out of Superpole 1. His late fall in that first SP session meant he had to miss Superpole 2 and he therefore could not improve on 12th. Roman Ramos (Team Go Eleven Kawasaki), another Spanish rider on a Kawasaki riding at home this weekend, will start 16th on the grid.

19-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Website Find Reply