BROOKES DOUBLES UP TO EXTEND CHAMPIONSHIP ADVANTAGE AHEAD OF FINALE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BROOKES DOUBLES UP TO EXTEND CHAMPIONSHIP ADVANTAGE AHEAD OF FINALE
[Image: milwakeeyamahahdr2015.jpg]

Milwaukee Yamaha’s Josh Brookes edged a step closer to his first MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship title by doubling up on race wins at the penultimate round of Silverstone to hold a 47 point advantage ahead of the Brands Hatch season finale.

In the opening race Brookes hit the front of the field on the second lap after starting from the pole position after his incredible pace in yesterday’s qualifying and continued to battle off the opposition to claim the victory by 0.668s. Jakub Smrz completed the top ten as he continued to improve his pace onboard the second Milwaukee Yamaha on his second round with the team.

Brookes started the second race on the second row and after getting pushed wide on the first corner of the opening lap and then worked his way through the pack with a imperious performance to score the second win. Smrz meanwhile score points in 13th place.

Josh Brookes

"At the start of race one I was trying to find a pace that I felt could last the race distance and then James [Ellison] came passed and I thought that maybe that was a good situation as I could let him do the work. Then when Shakey came by me I sat calmly in third and kept an eye on them. I thought if I could stay smooth and fast and not make any mistakes then they shouldn't have any extra to give than I have, I felt we were on fairly equal terms.

"I was able to get passed and then the final laps were a real fight with myself, the bike, the tyre and each corner - I was battling the elements in my own environment to keep it together. I had to concentrate and I am really pleased I bought it home.”

"I certainly found it difficult at the start of the second race as I got pushed wide at turn one. Exiting the turn he moved wide and I got squeezed out and I lost momentum and a few positions. I knew right from the start it was then going to be difficult.

"I got momentum going again and I had a great battle with Christian [Iddon] but every time I got in front of him he would slam me back and I was wasting a lot of laps as I needed to make some forward progress. It wasn't until I was in front of him that I could move forward with confidence and the bike definitely worked better than race one. I moved to the front and then I could ride my own rhythm and I had confidence to keep pushing harder. I am looking forward to returning to Brands Hatch now for the final round."  

[Image: brookeswinsilverstone.jpg]

Jakub Smrz

“Both races were not ideal as I had slow start into race one and in race two both tyres were pretty worn. But this weekend we learnt a lot again, we had good race pace and were closer to front again. All I want now is to prove we can be stronger in the last race weekend at Brands Hatch and I'm sure we can fight at the front if everything goes well. I need to thank the team again for all their support and great work again!"

05-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Website Find Reply