What's the true story
Electrajohnt Offline

Threads: 4
What's the true story
Been discussing this with a friend without conclusion.

What is the true story behind Phil Read and Bill Ivy's distribution of the 125 and 250 championship that did not appear to be honoured by one or the other. Did Yamaha sack Bill or Phil because of the reluctance to follow orders.

Was there a altercation about start money being withheld by one from the other. Was this settled by pressure from SMBH.

Is there a detailed account written anywhere.

So many questions, does it matter? Well yes; Phil Read has been held up as the villain by many, this may be an injustice.

JohnT
(This post was last modified: 18-11-2015, 10:13 PM by Electrajohnt.)
18-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: What's the true story
As I remember it:-

The 1968 season was quite controversial for Phil Read, because Yamaha wanted him to concentrate on winning the 125cc title and for his team-mate Bill Ivy to concentrate on taking the 250cc title. 

Read, after winning the 125cc championship, decided that he wouldn't follow the team instructions, and that he would fight Ivy for the 250cc title.

He felt that he was the faster rider and that Bill Ivy had gone behind his back to have Yamaha place orders on him in order for Bill Ivy to take the 250 title. He felt a bit brassed off at this as he had won Yamahas first world titles for them, and especially as he had helped Bill Ivy get his ride with Yamaha.

They both finished that season tied on points overall and Read was awarded the championship based on elapsed times. 

It proved costly for him as Yamaha never offered him a ride again.

There's a bit about this on the DUKE website - http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Database/Events....0%20&era=3 
18-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Website Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
i can,t remember the complete season but Bill Ivy did his bit to let Phil Read win the 125cc world championship but Read didn,t repay the favour to ivy, but could Ivy have won the 125cc  title that year i can,t remember
23-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
I was lucky enough to witness the 1968 125cc TT. & that fantastic 100mph lap by young Bill. He had the race in the bag but stopped on the last lap at the Creg & apparently asked spectators who was leading, therefor giving the race to Phil Read in the process !
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
(This post was last modified: 25-11-2015, 08:07 PM by veefour.)
25-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
Saturno3 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
The book "Bill Ivy: The Will to Win" by Mick Walker gives a good insight into what happened, but obviously it does lean towards Bills view of events.

I presume that Phil Read has also stated his view in any book he's involved in, but I've not read and first hand reports from Phils point of view.
26-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Find Reply