Anyone with info on the old Formula Two series.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone with info on the old Formula Two series.
Looking for anyone who may have technical knowlege of the old F2 machinery. Yamaha 350cc PV motor specs and set-up. I know the scene was vibrant in Ireland and UK.Can anyone cast their mind back on this.
J
20-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Anyone with info on the old Formula Two series
John the man with the info you need could well be Mike Lawson! I;m sure you know him, He competed in Aprilia 250 series this year! I remember from years ago he was the man to beat and his father still has the bike too! the Witch may know who i mean, Sure his name was Arnott?? Hope this helps anyhow cheers John Leech
20-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am sure if you post this request on sidenet.co.uk you will be inundated with information.The FSRA still run a series for the old Formula 2s. They now call it Formula 350. Hope this is of help.
21-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The man you want is Arnie Fletcher use to do the Len Manchester bikes, and boy were they quick.
Arnie's engines were used by all the top boys, and won many a TT.
21-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I worked on, and built Tony Rutters F2 Ducati machines, that Tony won his 4 World championships on.

22-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Formula Two series...Many Thanks Everyone.
Just a quick reply to all who posted on and off the bulletin board. I will reply to everyone individually on the subject. I will also be compiling an article on the F2 World and domestic scene, which saw so much diversity and rider talent in the late 70's to mid 80,s. Have some results stats, but still looking for results form the overseas rounds Ie: Vila Real, Brno, Assen etc.

Best Regards

JMC

23-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pat we were just discussing those bikes the other night! Was that the ones he brought up to Beveridge park for the Battle of the Twins race? Regards John Leech
23-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi John Mc, just bought an old LC cos I still have some barrels from our F2 days, and cheers for the Guinness at the manx.
Tel.
23-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

To racingleech,

The machines that we brought up to Beverage park were the 600cc F2 machine, and the 750cc F1 machine. Tony used the 750 for the 1st B.O.T. practice, and the race, if I remember correctly Tony had a big "coming together" with Jack Gow on his very fast Norton, and rode across a flower bed !!.Jack came into our tent straight after the race to say "sorry". For one of the B.O.T. peractice sessions he used the 600F2 machine because I had just re-built the engine and we needed to run it before a W.C. round. (I sought permission before we used the 600 from the clerk of the course). Both machines were identical, and we used to swap 600 and 750 motors between them. There were different suspension settings to suit either engine. The 750 was slightley heaver than the 600, and this made a difference to the handeling. If you need anymore info my "E" mail is <A HREF="mailto:patelaineslinn@btopenworld.com">patelaineslinn@btopenworld.com</A>.

Regards,

Pat Slinn.

23-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi John Mc,

Your request for info on F2 results, all I can really give you are Tony Rutters results, from memory. 1982,4th July,Vila Real,Portugal, 1st Tony Rutter 600cc F2 Ducati.

1983, 6th July, Vila Real, Portugal,2nd Tony Rutter 600ccF2 Ducati.

1984, July, Vila Real ,Portugal 1st Tony Rutter 600cc F2 Ducati.

1984 September ?? Brno, 1st Tony Rutter 600ccF2 Ducati.

1984 September ?? International B.O.T. race Assen, Holland.1st Tony Rutter 600cc F2 Ducati.

Most of my records etc, were lost in 1985 after Rutter crashed at Monjuich, Spain. They were stolen from our transporter,(amongst other things) in the Monjuich paddock whilst I waas at the hospital.

If you need any more info,my "e" mail no is <A HREF="mailto:patelaineslinn@btopenworld.com">patelaineslinn@btopenworld.com</A>.

Regards,

Pat Slinn.
23-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was at Mountjuich that day Joey won the F1 and Brian Reid won the F2.
I never saw Tony's crash nor did i know about it untill we got back to Ireland. A few years later I bought a t shirt at the Ulster to help raise funds for Tony he was a great rider but the 350s were too much for the Ducati twins in the end.
I was also in the paddock at Mountjuich trying to find Joey the cop on the gate would not let us in untill one of the Rothmans Honda guys spoke to him for us we ended up staying in Joeys hotel that night and drank till dawn.
The man to speak to regarding F2 350 Yamahas is Billy McKinstry Some of the stuff he did was copyed by Yamaha years after he did it. He also told me a good story about Tony but I'll save that for another day

23-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, come on, Cargo....you can't leave it like that!!
24-10-2003, 06:48 AM