Peter Jarmann
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peter Jarmann
I am sure we all have had time to reflect on the late Peter Jarmann's words on M & Ms this evening regarding the T.T. Marshalls..

They give up their holidays and make great sacrifices for long hours in all weathers, without them we cannot race, they are completely dedicated to the safety and welfare of the riders.

Pehaps not his words exactly but that is what he meant.

Peter Jarman, a Real T.T. Hero who new the score
03-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Peter Jarmann
03-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for that. I was going to ask if anyone had taped it to get Peters exact thoughts.

Never were truer words spoken. I hope all those Marshalls know what most of us really think when we see them as we raced across the mountain in the early morning freezing rain.
03-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes we watched it on TV tonight, very moving.
03-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's marvellous to now have a video souvenir of the inside of Peter's famous bus at this year's TT. We had the pleasure of sharing meals with Peter and his gang (prepared by Ede the chef) on several occasions during Practice Week, and those are now very precious memories.

Peter had been a really good friend to Gail for several years, and during this year's TT he told us we would be welcome to come and stay with him in Switzerland if we ever fancied a holiday over there. He really was one of life's true gentlemen and is very sadly missed.
04-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

David, True friendship and precious memories,last forever.
cheers,
Stella
04-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Everyone Im sorry I missed the Program as Im off Island at the Moment Visiting Friends in Columbus Ohio. I got to know Peter for the first time when I returned to Road Racing at the 1994 MGP after a nine year break due to a bad accident at Killalane in Ireland in 1985 which I made a full recovery from thank god. We became very good Friends from then till his passing during this years event. I have so many great memories of Peter and the Many times We crossed Swords as one might say at the TT and the Southern. I was lucky enough to carry a Camera in the 2000 SS400 TT in which I came across peter and had a good Run on the Road with Him from the Bungalow to the Pits one of My best memories. Peter Jarmann a true Gentalman , TT Fanatic , a great rider and very special Friend to all who had the Plesure to know Him. Gone but never forgotten. If anyone taped the show could YOu let me know via the above E mail Please All The Best Irish Ago.........Ride Safe and Free Always......
04-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It looks like Gail and David will have to mass produce these for all Peter's friends!
By the way, what is the cost of a taxi to Columbus Ohio?
04-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sure we can sort you out with a copy, Ago. You made a brief appearance on the programme yourself - on the start line of the 600 Proddy race just behind Maria Costello !
04-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom, I was seriously considering packing it in after this year. I know most of the riders appreciate what we do but the negative remarks tend to come from the high profile people (no disrespect).
But you sometimes wonder why you do it.
Marshalling at the TT will never be the same as short circuits..EVER.. because of the nature of the beast, it is just a totally different animal.
In the end I couldn't resist and went on the IMC course last week, so I'll probably be back next year.
I think one of the main problems is recruiting new (and younger) marshals. It needs to be constantly drummed into people that more marshals are always needed and it is down to the riders just as much to try and encourage everyone they meet to sign up.
What is your opinion on the early morning practices being phased out?
05-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're right, Billy. We need more people, especially younger guys. I loved marshalling, but other things took over, and I don't know how I would do now.
However, an example of good practice is the attitude of the Scottish riders who, in June, marshalled at the Classic Club event, because they weren't racing themselves.
Several guys who have Scottish championships etc to their names turned up for the weekend towere sweep the track and chase spectators out of the way! Great to see, and that's how it should be.
Doesn't solve the TT problem, though, cos you can't race and marshall.
Hope the training's enjoyable as well as practical.
05-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Billy I think I am the wrong one to be responding to your question because it has been twenty years since I last raced in the island and things have changed beyond recognition. However I will have go.

Early morning practice is something unique to the island and this is because of the length of the course the number of laps required to qualify and many riders having a number of different machines to get qualified. Personally I loved it and never missed it rain or shine.

The most important thing is the immense disruption to the residents and their normal everday business, getting to and from work the milkman and postman and all of the everyday things that people must do.

I do not see how early morning practice could be eliminated because of the number of hours the roads need to be closed to get everyone qualified with the required number of laps. You cannot increase the hours in the afternoon or evening because it because it would bring the island to a standstill for to long a period.

The big factor is the weather it can change so quickly it could be raining and low cloud of an evening so practice is cancelled, then could be a nice clear morning.

without the morning session the number of qualifying opportunities is reduced by 50%. A breakdown on an opening practice lap at a place such as Guthries and your stuck. and it can and does happen when you can have two or even three in a week.

It happened with me one year when I had five entries virtually every time I went out you name the place were you stop and cannot get back and I was there.

By the end of practice I was looking at a garage full of dismantled TZs with hardly a lap between them and the only qualified machine was the production bike.

Forunately I was able to appeal to the Jury and allowed to start in the other four classes because I had, I think about 36 T.Ts plus MGPs under my belt with a good record of finishes with some in the first six so experience and track record was taken into account and I was allowed to start. Not everyone is going to be that lucky.

I am sure more good marshalls could be recruited with enough publicity and a good training manual produced. It may just be that people just don't realise the need or know who to contact.

I am a life member of the T.T. Supporters Club and T.T. and MGP Riders Associatons and have never seen a call for marshalls in their news letters.

Why not circulate every motor cycle club in the U.K and Ireland.

Even I would not have a clue who to contact or how to becom a marshall so how can joe public.

I am sure there must be an awful lot of keen motor cyclists and others out there who would do the job with enthusiasm and pride.

On another point I am horrified at the amount of complaints on theses boards about riders ignoring flags.

Years ago this was a definate No No, even the greatest riders in the world would raise their head above the screen and lift their hand to warn a following rider at the sight of a yellow flag.

If you ignore a yellow flag you should be black flagged or eliminated from the result and banned from the event. if deemed serious enough a further ban on future events should be imposed.

Absolutely no exceptions I don't care how good you are, who your sponsor is or which works team you ride for it should be clearly highlighted on all entry forms and regulations. One strike and your out. If your sponsor or team does not like it and want to withdraw tough thats their loss.

If you are going to have such an important regulation enforce with vigour or don;t even bother to have it.

No one has has the right to place himself other riders, marshalls or the spectators at risk through sheer arrogance and stupidity.

Sorry not much but it might be food for thought.

05-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agree totally Tom.I have marshalled at the TT and Manx a few times and I never found it easy to sign on as few people seemed to know where I was supposed to go.I remember on one occasion chasing round Onchan trying to locate a house belonging to one of the chief marshalls so I could sign on.The whole thing needs better advertising.Surely there must be a way to at least give marshalls who travel from "across" some concession towards their ferry crossings.They should not have to do it all for nothing, while the fat cats get their free lunches.
On the point of early morning practice,I used to love it as I was never one for having lots of people around when I was trying to qualify,the media for instance,and the multitude of hangers on that seem to gain paddock access come what may.Only the true enthusiasts get out of bed at that unearthly hour,and I can only speak for myself when I say that I could concentrate far better when I was fresh in the morning that when I had had a day working on the bikes and the multitude of other jobs that occur at the TT/Manx.Hilary M
05-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Things have improved a bit as there is now a trailer at the back of the grandstand where the marshals association sign people up.
Things could still be a whole lot better on the advertising front and I am going to write some suggestions up and put them to the powers that be.
As for ferry reductions, it would be nice but I won't hold my breath. Anyway it would be very difficult to stop people abusing it. Say you're going to marshal, get your discount, then don't bother. But then I'm an old cynic.
06-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS NOT BEYOND THE POWERS THAT BE TO INTRODUCE A PAYMENT CONTRIBUTION SYSTEM FOR MARSHALLS WHICH CLOSED DOOR TO ABUSE.SUGGEST REASONABLE CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS EXPENSES PAID WHEN JOB IS DONE AND ASK THE STEAM PACKET COMPANY TO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION
HOW DID THIS TOPIC CREEP IN TO THE PETER JARMAN THREAD? A FINE RACER WHOSE TRAGIC ACCIDENT WAS NOUGHT TO DO WITH MARSHALLING
06-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arthur, I think it was because of the posting by Billy Bookcase (a marshall) who was a bit disheartened st marshalling and thinking of packing it in and he asked me for an opinion and the thread drifted from there.

I am sure Billy did not mean any disrespect when he first posted, and certainly when I started this thread it was because of the way I was moved by unselfish comments and his praise of the dedication of marshalls by Peter.

Glad you brought it up though, and if anyone wants to add to or continue the discussion on marshalling perhaps they would like to start a new thread such as, for example. 'Marshalls the Future' or somthing like that.
06-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

This diversion started because Peter had been interviewed for a TV programme, and had specifically spoken about marshalls and thanked them.
So good to see such nice things said about Peter. He was an unforgettable character who only ever made friends, and made those for life.
My last memory of him is of Peter and his team all lying or sitting on the grass outside the beer tent after Peter's last race, and Peter, drinking a Coke and smiling that lovely smile as he spoke about the result (not as good as it should have been, he said)
Later he was talked about by the members of the TT supporters continental branches at their party, where, of course, we still did not know of his accident.
A lovely man, who will always be missed by those privileged to know him.
07-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I sometimes feel as if I am intruding in here!
So many great characters and loevly people.
I am so glad I went to watch that first TT in 1967. Since then, I have made so many friends through this wonderful event.
I am thoroughly enjoying "the Real TT heroes"
What a guy Peter Jarmann must have been.

Would it not be possible to use his name for something special going forward with regard to marshalling? Just a thought.
Take care everyone.
Mike
08-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are some shots of Peter on the wall in Gwen Crellin's lounge room looking out onto the TT course.
This year when I was there as I was looking at them Gwen just came across and touched them without a word, but with the glisten of a tear in her eye.
It seems that all you who have met him lost, not only a personal friend, but also a TT icon.
And so the fraternity of the TT goes on recognising each other and perpetuating all that is good in sport and human nature.
10-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

He's on my wall here too, Don, and in the hearts of a great many people near here. In the 80s he spent a lot of time with people from the Lothian area, and particularly our sidecar and classic crowd.
He was very concerned about the guys hurt in the classic sidecar race at Billown the week before the TT, as many of them were his friends.
He is always remembered with fondness, laughter, and the occasional strong drink.
10-11-2003, 04:02 PM