Guardian angels of bike racing on crusade born of personal tragedy
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guardian angels of bike racing on crusade born of personal tragedy
[Image: jamiehamiltonwithtrophies.jpg]
Recipient Jamie Hamilton with his trophies

Sport salutes bereaved trio's aid for injured riders

Motorcycle racing by its very nature is a precarious sport, with inherent dangers part of thrill and excitement for competitors and fans alike. There's a fine line between success and failure and every rider who has stood, arms aloft on a podium top step, has undoubtedly been gathered from a hedge or gravel trap at some point in their career.

For a small minority, operating in the higher echelons of the sport, insurance policies and salary guarantees soften the blow when a hospital visit is called upon, followed by short-term or lengthy lay-offs.

But for the privateer racer in Ireland - many of whom are self-employed with dependants - the struggle begins before they even leave a circuit after an unscheduled injury.

It's at this point that they realise how important unsung heroines Yvonne Ward, Sheila Sinton and Jan Simm are about to become in their lives.

The trio are the driving forces behind the Injured Riders' Welfare Fund, set up in 2003 to provide instant, red tape free funding to riders and their families, when the unthinkable happens.

Supported purely by voluntary donations and fund-raising events, the three-strong Injured Riders' Welfare Fund management team, have paid out donations well into six figures since its inception.

So despite being long overdue, albeit unexpected by the trio, the Injured Riders' Welfare Fund has been honoured for its selfless contributions to the sport of motorcycling - picking up the Noonan Services to Sport accolade at the gala black tie Cornmarket Motorbike Awards in January.

Speaking on behalf of her compatriots, Jan Simm said: 

"It came as a total shock on the night. I think Yvonne and I were the only people in the 500 strong audience who didn't know, but it was amazing to receive the award on behalf of everyone who has helped us over the years."

It will come as no surprise to learn that all three woman have been touched by the darker side of pure road racing - Jan's giveaway is the #5 necklace hanging around her neck and the same inscription lovingly inked onto her right wrist.

It's in honour of her fallen partner Eddie Sinton, who sadly lost his life in a crash at the now defunct Carrowdore 100 back in the Millennium year.

Sheila Sinton is Eddie's mother and was present that dark day on the Ards Peninsula while Yvonne Ward is the widow of Steve Ward, killed whilst competing at Anderstorp in Sweden back in 1996.

Yvonne has been around racing longer than she cares to remember, but humbly said of the Fund's success: "The more we give out, the more we seem to get back in."

Thankfully for the hard-working trio, those who have been touched by their generosity usually reciprocate with fund raising events, and recognition within the sport has also seen some large donations.

"We received £4,561.90 this year from ballot donations at the Cornmarket Motorbike Awards, which is just amazing and so much appreciated,"
explained Jan. "In the past two seasons we have paid out over £17,000 per season, so support like that is invaluable."

The beauty of the Fund is that there is no criteria to qualify for financial support - there are no application forms and no one gets overlooked.

The 'Fairy Godmothers' of the race track simply keep up to date with all events on the island of in Ireland and also keep a close eye on local racers competing abroad.

"We don't just look after Irish riders," explained Yvonne, who had a jovial tale to tell of German racer Manfred Vogl. "Manfred fell off at Tandragee a few years ago and has told everyone since, 'Yvonne is the only woman who has ever wanted to give me money; most just want to spend it for you!"

With support having been offered to hundreds of riders over the years, Jan was quick to spread the credit far and wide for the Fund's success, also explaining how it has helped up-and-coming riders by offering support to make their entry to racing much safer.

"We have a sponsored walk the week before the Cookstown 100 and it not only raises money, but allows us to pair up newcomers with experienced riders. So as well as friendships being formed, the newcomers are gaining valuable knowledge of the circuits," she explained.

Speaking of the support they give, neither Jan nor Yvonne would single out anyone in particular, simply stating in unison: "When we look around the paddock these days it's hard to see someone we haven't helped.

"But the nice thing is most people don't know what we do until they need us,
" added Jan, who has also taken on the Welfare Officer's role within the governing body of the sport.

Winning awards was never on the agenda when the Injured Riders' Welfare Fund was set up almost 13 years ago, but recognition cannot be bought; it must be earned. Something Jan Simm, Sheila Sinton and Yvonne Ward have done in abundance.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Paul Lindsay
20-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Guardian angels of bike racing on crusade born of personal tragedy
[Image: jamiehamiltonfrontshot.jpg]

Crash victim Jamie leads tributes to ladies whose support means so much

Bike racers are always quick to heap praise on the Injured Riders' Welfare Fund and the three very special ladies who keep it running - none more so than Ballyclare's Jamie Hamilton, who has been out injured since his horror smash at last year's Isle of Man TT.

Currently convalescing at home, Hamilton is now well on the road to recovery following his 170mph crash in last year's Senior TT, but will not get back to work until June at the earliest, which will be a year without any form of income.

Taking that into consideration he said: 

"I've spoken to Jan Simm from the Fund since my accident and what they are doing for the sport is just fantastic. To have a cheque land on your doorstep without even requesting any support - I mean where does that even happen these days? It doesn't. So they fully deserve the award. It's the least the sport could do to show its appreciation."

Former Irish Superbike champion Kirk Jamison is another advocate of the Injured Riders' Welfare Fund. The Greyabbey man, like Hamilton, received uninitiated support after breaking his back at Croft in 2012.

The resulting injuries ended Jamison's career, but he was quick to acknowledge the trio of women who supported him financially in his time of crisis.

"I knew Yvonne Ward from about the racing paddock but very little about the Fund. So when they made contact just a few days after my crash, then a cheque arrived shortly afterwards, I have to say I was humbled."

Explaining his situation, that will resonate with many of his peers, Jamison added: 

"We all have insurance as racers, but when your family have to take unplanned leave from work to sit at your bedside in England, the costs soon mount up. So no matter how well prepared you think you are, the Fund's support is very much need and welcomed."

Like many riders who have been supported, the chance to reciprocate the gesture comes in the form of fund-raising nights, which have become the lifeblood of the Injured Riders' Welfare Fund over the years.

Charlotte Pullan is one woman who has experienced firsthand, the trauma that motorcycle racing and injuries can heap upon a family. She refers to the Fund trustees as quite simply: "Three wonderful women."

Charlotte's partner Stephen Thompson lost a limb following an incident at last year's International North West 200, and as she explains, the Fund is not just about delivering financial support.

"As a group, Jan, Sheila and Yvonne come and talk to you and give you their time. They are genuinely there for you, and that means as much as getting financial support, which they have also done for us," explained Charlotte, whose husband Stephen, a self-employed builder, hasn't worked since his accident last May.

"They really are three amazing woman who do an incredible job and I'm sure I speak for all injured riders when I say, 'you just don't realise how valuable their support is until you need it'."

Charlotte has been involved in sponsored walks and fund-raising nights for the 'Fairy Godmothers' Fund to provide support for the sport that is ingrained in their DNA, for many more years to come.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Paul Lindsay
20-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Website Find Reply