VAUXHALL INTERNATIONAL NORTH WEST 200 STARS IN ACTION AT CARTAGENA TEST
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
VAUXHALL INTERNATIONAL NORTH WEST 200 STARS IN ACTION AT CARTAGENA TEST
[Image: cartagenatestgeneral.jpg]

Some of the biggest stars of the 2016 Vauxhall International North West 200 had their first outings during the recent Cartagena Pro-Test in Spain on the superbikes they will race at Portrush on May 14.

15 times North West winner, Alastair Seeley debuted his RAF Reserves/Briggs BMW alongside fellow BMW pilots Ian Hutchinson and Michael Dunlop on the Tyco and Buildbaseliveried machines.

Seeley had a lucky escape when a pipe leaked oil on to his back tyre, bringing the Carrickfergus man down in his first outing on a race bike since the Sunflower meeting last October.

“I didn’t realise there was a leak and the bike flicked me off but I got away with just some bruising.” the 36 year old said.

Seeley had two BMWs at the Spanish test, including one with a special fuel tank and thumb brake fitted, and he was able to carry on after the crash.

“We are having some issues with the throttle connection on the bike at the minute that is creating a hesitation in the response off the turns.”
he explained.

“I was starting to feel good before the crash with a better riding position and the bike was better at changing direction. The feeling just isn’t there yet to be pushing on for good lap times but at the end of the day we are spinning out the laps in the sunshine and enjoying being back on a bike.”

NW200 Superstock lap record holder, Ian Hutchinson, rode both stock and superbike versions of the S1000RR Tyco BMW at Cartagena. He moved on to Almeria for another few days of testing in good spirits.

“Unless I had a problem with the bike I stayed out there as long as I could to get time on the bikes.” Hutchy said.

“I’m comfortable with them and I am ready to race now.”

Michael Dunlop was probably the rider who spent most time on track at the Spanish test, clocking up over 240 laps on his stock and superbike Buildbase BMWs. Unlike Seeley and Hutchinson, who have swapped to BMWs for 2016, Dunlop will be starting his third season with the German machinery.

“Both of these 2016 BMWs are different from the bikes I have ridden before and they seem to be grand.”
the Ballymoney man said after the four intensive days of action.

“We haven’t dialled them in to the last wee bit we want yet but we are making sure everything is running right before we start pushing.”

The NW200’s fastest ever newcomer, Peter Hickman is another rider who has changed manufacturer for the 2016 season and he was on the JG Speedfit ZX10R Kawasakihe will race in the BSB series. The Burton on Trent rider struggled with a at Cartagena that serious chatter problem for the first three daysbefore the team managed to cure it on Saturday evening.

“Thank heavens we got that chatter sorted before all my teeth fell out.”
Hickman joked as he set a lap time that put him in the top ten runners at Cartagena.

Reflecting on the differences between the BMW he rode last year and the new ZX10R, Hickman said they were “like chalk and cheese”.

“The engines are different, the chassis is different and even when you sit on the bike it has a different riding position. I still need time to get used to it.”

Mar-Train Yamaha’s new signing, Dan Kneen, was also making his debut on the Saintfield team’s machinery in Spain.  The Manxman suffered a huge crash on the R1 superbike during the opening day but was back in action on Saturday and Sunday.

“I am battered and bruised but there isn’t anything broken so I will mend.”
he smiled through the pain.

“I am enjoying the new bikes but it didn’t do my confidence much good falling off on day one.”
the 2014 Irish champion explained.

“We are working on little bits to make it feel more like my bike. We will be doing some more testing before the North West because there are three bikes to sort and we definitely need more time to get set up.”

The fastest man ever through the North West 200’s speed trap, Martin Jessopp, was also out on track at Cartagena. The Yeovil man, who broke the 208mph barrier back in 2012 on a Ducati,rode a 675cc Triumph Supersport bike that he will race at Portrush alongside his Riders Motorcycles superbike and superstock spec BMWs.

“It is a proper little racing machine and I think it will be a great bike for the North West.” he said.

“We are also building a pretty special ER6 for the Supertwin class this season.”

Practice for the 2016 Vauxhall International North West begins on May 10 with racing on May 12 and 14.

[Image: NW2016hdr.jpg]
09-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Website Find Reply