Rotary Norton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rotary Norton
Not quite TT but following a discussion re the Rotary Norton and its first rider obviously on short circuit, somewhere in the back of my mind i believe that it was Barry Scully who at one time rode the Silk (Nee Scott). Can anybody confirm or deny this please.
21-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rotary Norton
I thought it was Steve Spray about 1988? and an Australian guy?
21-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Simon Buckmaster rode one earlier than that, not sure of the year tho.
21-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Think Malcolm Heath rode one of the first ones, and he worked for the factory i believe.
21-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

malc rode the first one at a club meet at darley moor. i was there, what a bike!
ade!
22-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Original Development Team

L to R - Dave Evans, Malcolm Heath, Brian Crighton, Dave Hickman and Simon Buckmaster.

22-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Aussie guy who rode it in 1991 was Grant Hodson.
22-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

you might be right there tel, you might just be right. must dig my old progs out.
cheers, ade!
22-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scully - Scott - Velo
Yes, Brian Scully rode the Scott in the 1965 Junior Manx, finishing 51st. Not sure it was a Silk, was it connected with Matt Holder who owned the rights to the Scott name?
No problem starting a Velo Thruxton, but perhaps that's why I needed a service-exchange hip fitted?
24-11-2003, 07:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barry Scully Bill, not Brian! I saw him ride it in the Ulster as well.

Not a Silk job - it was a 350 air-cooled twin, largely down to the late and under-acknowledged Brian Woolley, who also did a lot of work to make the Greeves Silverstone the "success" that it was.

Well, if he hadn't, just think what a total disaster it would have been!!

Even with all his work,it was still "affectionately" called the Tombstone . . . . . . . . .
24-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just call it 5am brain fade Larry!
24-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

BRIAN WOOLLEY MAY WELL HAVE BEEN INVOLVED WITH THE GREAVES SILVERSTONE DEVELOPMENT,AS BRIAN HAD A HAND IN MANY 2 STROKE PROJECTS OF THOSE DAYS BUT I THINK THE REAL INSTIGATOR OF THE GREAVES WAS REG EVERETT WHO STARTED THE BALL ROLLING BY TAKING A STANDARD MOTO X MACHINE, HAWKSTONE I BELIEVE, AND CONVERTING IT FOR ROAD RACING WITH CONSIDERABLE SUCCESS.THE SILVERSTONE DERIVED FROM THIS AND I DONT THINK REG EVERETT HAS BEEN GIVEN THE CREDIT HE DESERVED
24-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its Barrie spelt like this. Whilst working on my bike one weekend, this guy walks up the drive says Hi Garry, don't remember me do you. I stopped working and yes I do, it was Barrie out cycling!!
24-11-2003, 08:28 PM