SILVERSTONE BECKONS AS JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI BEGIN 2016 TITLE CHALLENGE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SILVERSTONE BECKONS AS JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI BEGIN 2016 TITLE CHALLENGE
[Image: jgspeedfithdr2.jpg]

After a busy pre-season of testing, the JG Speedfit Kawasaki trio of James Ellison, Leon Haslam and Peter Hickman head to the opening round of the MCE British Superbike Championship at Silverstone this weekend, ready to kick start their 2016 title challenges.

With the all-new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R arriving last year, the JG Speedfit team has been working around the clock throughout the winter building the three Superbikes James Ellison, Leon Haslam and Peter Hickman will contest in the 2016 MCE British Superbike Championship.

Enjoying closer ties with the Kawasaki factory, and working alongside the official World Superbike Kawasaki Racing Team, the JG Speedfit squad enjoyed an extensive pre-season testing programme which allowed them to develop and refine the new machine. Working through a number of engine and chassis settings over the twelve testing days, the team concluded their programme last week with a final day at the official BSB test at Silverstone. Despite bitterly cold conditions, all three riders were able to set up their machines ready for the opening free practice session this Friday, with Leon topping the time sheets.

As the longest circuit on the calendar, Silverstone poses a unique challenge for the riders as the high speeds and impressive grip offered from the asphalt can lead to increased tyre wear. A circuit all three riders know well, the 2015 BSB event saw James set a new lap record whilst Peter enjoyed a rostrum finish.

Looking forward to kicking off the 2016 season, James Ellison said, 

“I can’t wait to get going! I’ve had a good history at Silverstone, we currently hold the lap record and I led both races last year but some tyre issues prevented us from showing our true form. It’s been a busy winter with testing, and the team hasn’t stopped working. We’ve still got a few things to try during practice this weekend, but I think we’re in a good place. My first impressions of the ZX-10R were very positive and that hasn’t changed since, it’s a completely new bike still so we still have some things to refine but its potential is strong. I love the circuit too, it’s very fast and flowing and is one of the best tracks in the country so I’m looking forward to getting back out and stretching the ZX-10R’s legs in a race!”

Eager to make his racing return to the British Superbike Championship, Leon Haslam added 

“I really can’t wait to get racing. It’s been a long winter and although we’ve covered plenty of miles in testing I just want to get out and race now! I don’t think we could have worked any harder during testing and that means we’re in a real good position to come out and get some great results from the off. Topping the timesheets here in the test last week is positive and definitely means we come into this weekend confident. Silverstone is a great circuit to make my BSB return too, it’s a Grand Prix level track and one I love to race on...so roll on Sunday!”

Equally as excited to get going, Peter Hickman said, 

“It’s the same for James and Leon, I’m really looking forward to getting out there and racing again. We’ve had a really extensive testing programme this winter, which means we’re in a great position for round one. Behind the scenes, everyone in the team has been flat out to get us here so full credit to them and hopefully we can repay them with some good results. The test here last week was real positive. We had a slight issue with chatter but we made great progress with that and have got some ideas to try during practice to improve things further. Silverstone is one of my favourite circuits and I’ve had some great results in the past, so I’m excited to see what me and the Kawasaki can do this weekend!”

GBmoto Racing Team Principal Mark Smith-Halvorsen concluded, 

“It’s been a very big winter for the team. Not only have we strengthened out ties with the Kawasaki factory, but we also expanded to a three rider team as we welcomed Leon to the fold. On top of that we have a brand new bike to develop as well as a new suspension partner and product to adapt to, so yes, for sure we have taken a lot on. The effort that has gone in across the team, especially from the guys in the workshop to get us here, has been incredible. We achieved nearly everything we set out to, during our testing programme which has been a big commitment and all three riders head to Silverstone, capable of achieving some good results.

The opening round last year saw us secure our first BSB win and I see no reason why we can’t replicate that this weekend and climb the top step of the rostrum. It’s going to be a very exciting year, and I’m confident we’ll be fighting to the very end to secure our first Championship title!”

[Image: Peter-Hickman-in-action.JPG]
Pete Hickman in Action
05-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Website Find Reply