YAMAHA - WorldSBK meets STK1000
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
YAMAHA - WorldSBK meets STK1000
[Image: yamahawsb&stockboys.jpg]

Have you ever wanted to know more about the Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK and STK1000 riders? Yamaha Racing caught up with Alex Lowes, Sylvain Guintoli, Florian Marino and Riccardo Russo from the Assen TT Circuit paddock as the 2016 MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship sets up ready for the next round.

Hi guys, can you all please introduce yourselves - who are you and what makes you tick?

AL: "Hi, I'm Alex Lowes, I am 25 years old and I am one of the lucky people that get to do my hobby for a job! My life is racing motorbikes, I live with my girlfriend Corinne in Derby and I am trying to be the best I can be."

SG: "Hey, I'm Sylvain Guintoli, French & living in the UK for over 10 years now. I love riding bikes, with or without engine, any bikes, anytime, anywhere!"

FM: "I am Florian Marino, 22 years old from France. I have been passionate about motorcycles since I was a kid and it's my whole life. I became professional and I am now trying to achieve my goals. I like sport in general but especially cycling which is part of my training. I am also interested in the success of different sport disciplines because I find that they are good lessons to learn, and of course I like spending time with friends, especially when we can share good food and life stories."

RR: "Hi, I'm Riccardo Russo from Italy. I'm 23, funny and I've grown up racing bikes."

How long have you been racing motorbikes and what made you start? When was your first experience on two wheels?

AL: "I have been racing since I was six years old at motocross. My first experience on two wheels was at just 4 years old on a Yamaha TY80 and I've had the bug since then."

SG: "My first race on tarmac was at 12 years old. My grandad and dad were always big bike enthusiasts so it runs in the DNA.  My first experience was at 5 years old - my dad built a small 50cc bike that I use to ride in the back garden."

FL: "I have been racing motorbikes for 10 years now. My father use to race in the past and has been working with motorbikes all his life. He bought me my first bike (a PW50cc) when I was 3 years old. From that point I started playing with my motorbike and I just kept asking to go out and ride."

RR: "My family has a motorbike circuit in Italy so I have known the two wheel world very well, since I was young. I grew up 'eating bread and engines'! My first experience of riding a motorbike was on a mini-moto."

What is your main inspiration in life?

AL: "My main inspiration is to be able to look back when I am 40 years old and be happy that I did everything I could in my career."

SG: "The need for speed and adrenaline drives my racing career and hobbies. The rest of the time, I enjoy spending with my family."

FL: "People obsessed by their passion or sport and who made their dreams become reality. I have a lot of respect for these people because they sacrificed their lives to their passion or sport and they have succeeded. I hope one day I'll be able to do the same!"

What do you focus on to stay at the top of your game - fitness, motivation, mentality?

AL: "Everything!"

FL: "I try to keep working on everything as much as I can. But during the year I adjust my training according to my weak points."

RR: "My training starts in the morning at the gym and keeps going in the afternoon either riding a race bike, motorad or go-kart every day."

SG: "It's a blend of the three. Racing bikes is a lifestyle for me. I always train and live my life with the thoughts of racing and trying my best to win."

What is your main goal or ambition?

AL:
"That's easy... to be world champion!"

SG: "Bringing the YZF-R1 on the top step of the podium."

FL: "My main goal is to win the championship I am competing in right now, Superstock 1000. My ambition is to keep improving myself as a rider and a person and to move up to the World Superbike Class in a factory team."

RR: "My goal is to become a professional rider in the top categories and to race in World Superbike or in MotoGP."

What is your favourite track on the WSBK calendar and which do you wish would be included?

AL: "My favourite tracks of the season are Phillip Island and Donington. I wish Cadwell Park could be included too!"

SG: "I love riding and racing in Phillip Island. It would be great to have Mugello on the WorldSBK calendar."

RR: "My favorite circuits are Imola and Misano."

FL: "My favourite is Philip Island but unfortunately it is not on the Superstock calendar. So for the European rounds, I do like Assen a lot and I wish we could race in Mugello."

Which is your favourite overall event location and why?

AL: "Laguna Seca because I really want to play golf at Pebble Beach! When I am not riding bikes I am usually on a golf course!"

FL: "I like the Italian rounds because I like the atmosphere. We go there during the summer so the weather is great and of course for the food!"

RR: "The Italian rounds where many friends and fans can join and support me."

SG: "Many places we go to are really great. Phillip Island is one of the best because it feels raw and the island has a special atmosphere. Going to Thailand last year for the first time was a brilliant experience. I even met an elephant in the streets of Buriram! But my favourite is Doha in Qatar, I love the night race format and I have very good memories from 2014."

Which venue has the loudest/most passionate fans?

RR: "Italy!"

AL: "I would say Italy but I love the British fans, for me, I think they are the best in the world!

SG: "France, it's the only place you hear the public while riding the bike during the race, unbelievable!"

FL: "I think that at Magny-Cours the fans are really passionate because they are there also when it is wet and cold. They are also always really loud, anyone that has ever slept over-night there knows that well too haha!"

What do you do when you are not racing?

SG: "Mountain biking, Enduro, MX, and looking after my family."

FL: "When I am not racing I'm back to my normal routine with training, riding and sorting out any issues I may have had. I spend time with my coach, doing work on my training bikes, watching results from motocross and trying to catch up with friends."

RR: "When I don't race, I usually ride motorbikes at my home circuit with my friends for fun but above all for the workout."

AL: "I love to play golf and ride motocross with my brother."

Who do you look up to in the racing world and who would you most like to compete against?

AL: "The obvious answer would be Valentino Rossi but I would love to race against Marc Marquez!"

SG: "I have a lot of respect for Valentino because of what he achieved and how he is continuing to be so fast. The length of his career at the top is incredible, especially in our area. I would like one day to race against him again but I'm afraid he might be a bit too fast for me!! "

RR: "My goal is to ride as a professional racer and compete with top riders like Gino Rea and Chaz Davies."

FL: "I look up to the best riders in every category in the Superbike Championship and in MotoGP. I would like to compete against the top guys in Superbike as right now it is the most realisable goal but of course to ride against riders like Rossi and Lorenzo would be something amazing."

What would you be doing if you weren't a motorbike racer?

FL: "Good question... I don't know!"

AL: "Professional golfer! I like to think I am good enough."

SG: "I like to think I would do something constructive for our sport because I have a strong passion for it."

RR: "If I were not a rider, I'd try to work as a DJ."

What item couldn't you live without?

AL: "My bikes."

SG: "My phone! Even though I normally never want to admit it, it makes my life easier, whatever I want to do, share or organise. I love it!"

Who do you hang out with in the paddock?

AL: "The WorldSBK paddock is a fairly relaxed and friendly place to work, but last year I tended to spend most of my time with Leon Haslam and my brother Sam Lowes, when he is able to attend, and of course Glen Richards."

SG: "My friend Bruno Vecchioni."

FL: "My Team and my coach Adrien Morillas."

RR: "The Team."

What was your happiest moment in life?

AL: "2013 - Winning the British Superbike Championship."

SG: "In Doha, Qatar 2014 when I won the WorldSBK title in the last race of the year, with my family to greet me in the pits. Best moment ever!"

FL: "Right now, it was probably my first podium in the World Championship."

How would your closest friends describe you?

RR: "A funny guy."

FL: "I think crazy!"

AL: "Pain!"

SG: "Loves his family, loves bikes. Can also be a right pain!"

What are your best and worst traits?

FL: "It is difficult to say but I think my determination is the best and the worst is probably that I am never satisfied."

AL: "Determination and honesty are my best traits. My worst I would say are that I am demanding and maybe lack a little patience."

SG: "Passionate, sometimes too much!"

What is your first memory?

SG: "Riding a little baby tricycle on two wheels."

FL: "The first time I raced in motocross."

RR: "My family's track."

AL: "Learning to ride a bicycle at my Nan's.

Name one thing that annoys you the most.

AL: "Laziness!

FL: "A lack of respect."

SG: "When I lose the keys of my bike!"

Name one thing that you would like to learn.

AL: "How to be world champion!

SG: "How to drive an F1 car or fly a jet fighter."

FL: "I would like to learn the data from Rossi and Lorenzo!"

Besides racing, what are your talents?

AL: "I'm not too bad at golf, I enjoy most sports but motorbikes have always been my main priority!

SG: "Not many! I am obviously quite good at making children!"

What do you do to get yourself pumped for the race? Do you have a pre-race routine?

SG: "I listen to music and try to chill before the start. No pre race routine as such but I have a few (too many!) superstitious rituals."

FL: "I don't really need something to get pumped. I know what I want and what I have to do to achieve it and that's what I am working for, so I always feel pumped when it's about racing. Yes I do like having my routine for the weekend and before the race. It is the always the same but I keep it simple."

What were your first impressions of the YZF-R1M?

FL: "It feels really good. I love the feeling with the engine, so smooth and powerful, the feedback I get with this bike and the happiness this bike brings me!"

What is your main goal for the 2016 season?

RR: "My aim for 2016 is to be leader in my category and fight for the title."
15-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Website Find Reply