Promoter says entertainment is key to growing TT
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Promoter says entertainment is key to growing TT
[Image: ttmonsterlogobig.jpg]

Could increasing the number of TT tourists stump infrastructure on the Isle of Man ?

That's the chief executive of Vision Nine who doesn't think so - the company is hoping to be selected as the event's external promoter in Tynwald this week. 

If successful it will win the contract for a 10 year period - in that time it wants to grow the number of visitors to 86,000. 

The UK company also claims it would generate more than £69 million for the economy - Julian Topham says entertainment is key: 

[Image: 3fmlogo.jpg]
18-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Website Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Promoter says entertainment is key to growing TT
Beggars belief really that they are considering someone so clueless, the reason many of us leave mid week is because if you want to see the senior you struggle to get a ferry before the tuesday afterwards and the stag weekend/bucket list prawn sandwich eating non fans have latched onto mad sunday weekend for lads weekend without using any holidays - attracting more people to come across later in the week can only make leaving friday night/saturday even more difficult - dying to see what Road racing related 'entertainment' they have in mind, if they are just going to put on non TT related stuff like bands etc that would just be plain daft - get more people on the rock with little interest in the event but count them towards the targets - they aren't putting enough money into the event to put on anything big enough to make fans stay an extra 3 or 4 days. if they are thinking about putting all the races on thursday/friday/saturday they will be hostages to the weather and just move the travel issues. As someone who has done it believe me that after a couple of weeks of adrenaline filled action by saturday night after the last race the place feels like someone has flicked the off switch. Surely some of the house of keys will see through this nonesence.
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2016, 06:47 PM by Malcolm.)
18-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
Has anyone told the locals about the 86,000 visitors yet, I'm sure the anti TT brigade will love it !!!!!!!!!
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
18-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
Hope they can provide another couple of boats, a few hundred extra hotels and camping facilities, there crazy in the coconut 86k it would be like London on a Friday with that many on the rock. More chance of getting to the moon on a penny farthing.
18-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Find Reply
sculptor Offline

Any organisation that takes over the 'running' of the TT is doing it to make a profit, which I fear will be the Death Knell for the TT as we know it. The thin end of the wedge came last year when the Government declared that people couldn't watch from their own front gardens unless they carried appropriate insurance, I suspect this ruling will be used to declare many of the 'free' watching places "unsafe",  gradually herding us all into overpriced Hospitality Areas. I have been a spectator and media reporter for over 40 years and I'm certainly not against progress but surely the charm of the race is its accessibility to the fans whether that's being "so close that you could touch them" or bumping into your hero in a pub or chippie as well as the freedom of the paddock. Despite the overpriced travel/ accommodation it is still a fantastic event and I accept that along with the increasing power/ speeds must come some changes but to talk of entertainment as an answer suggests that a focus group has gathered around a table without a single true TT fan amongst them and come up with this nonsense to impress the Tynwald   ....Will it work ? ...only time will tell but the old cynic in me says that we'll look back and rue the day
20-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I think its fairly easy to see where this is headed.

The current situation is that demand outstrips supply for almost everything in TT race week.  The way we manage this in the modern world is to increase the price until we have a balance between maximum revenue and demand.  Would the ferry on the Saturday arvo after the senior still be full if the price was double? Definitely. Trebled - probably.

As an example a bunch of my mates came out to watch the Lions tests last year - I bought the tickets for them because the only way they could get tickets from the UK was as part of a package which included hotels and transfers all at premium prices.  It made the effective cost of a ticket about 2.5x its face value.

My expectation is that the first act of the new promoters will be to ring fence around 50% of all the premium ferry crossings and then sell them to package tour operators (who will bundle ferries and hotels and grandstand and fan zone etc).  The next act will be to put spectator areas (paying of course) at even more key vantage points - justified by the presence of facilities = a portaloo and a burger van (paying for the concession of course).  So the more affluent can get what they want - rather than the person prepared to get up earliest.

As has already been pointed out - even if you could get the Ark Royal shipping bikes and riders across there's no where for them to stay anyway.  All they can really do is squeeze the existing crowd - or more realistically - leverage them out in favour of a bigger spending crowd.

I could on but I'm too depressed.  Nobody would be happier than me if I'm wrong. 

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
20-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
i think they are courting trouble they are going to get the wrong type of fans turning up just interested in getting inebreated and causing trouble look what happened a couple of years ago so called fans walking on the circuit when it was closed and then wanting to challenge the marshalls no interest at all with the racing just getting pie eyed drunk , i pitty the police because if it comes off they are going to be very busy!
20-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: vision9logo.jpg]

A private sector promoter has been appointed to develop and grow the TT.

Tynwald this week approved the Department of Economic Development’s proposal to appoint events company Vision Nine as the Promoter of the TT and Classic TT Races.

But there were some detractors.

Vision Nine will take over what the government says is a ‘significant’ level of operational, promotional and commercial delivery responsibility for the TT and Classic TT in 2017. The 2016 TT and Classic TT will be unaffected.

[Image: skellymhk.jpg]

In a press statement the Minister for Economic Development, Laurence Skelly MHK, said: 

‘I am delighted that Tynwald has approved our proposal for the TT promoter partner. Vision Nine have demonstrated a real passion and knowledge about the TT and I believe they will bring substantial skills and investment to take the TT to the next level.’

Julian Topham, chief executive of Vision Nine, said in a press statement: 

‘We are looking to get started on our plans for 2017. This work is for the TT and Classic TT, part of the Festival of Motorcycling including the Manx Grand Prix. Our priority at present will be setting up an office with local staff members here in the Isle of Man.

‘Our experience in large events management will bring together the existing local events with new draws for a wider sports fan base. We will be delivering real growth in spectator numbers and economic benefit for the Isle of Man over the next 10 years with the continued support from Gary Thompson at ACU Events, the TT Marshals Association, Manx Motorcycle Club and the Manx public. We also look forward to working with Island businesses, many of whom have supported and been involved with the events for many years.’

Vision Nine’s plans for 2017 include working with transport providers, increasing sponsor appeal and an improved entertainment experience.

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
20-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: vision9teamwithgov.jpg]
The Vision Nine team with Economic Development Minister Laurence Skelly

MHK wants 'due diligence' checks on new TT promoter

A Douglas North MHK has questioned the integrity of the company appointed to promote the TT.

In Tynwald this week John Houghton asked the Economic Development Minister whether he'd done his 'due diligence' when recruiting Vision Nine. 

He claimed the company has a 'chequered history' - including issues with other companies and serious resignations - and that it doesn't have sufficient finance in place.

Government has signed the company up for 10 years - Mr Houghton says he wanted to ensure the appropriate checks had been undertaken:

Listen to what he has to say - HERE

21-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Website Find Reply
veefour Offline

Well at least there's one minister that's got a bit of common sense, to late now though I fear. Am I really glad I went to the TT the years I did !!  
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
21-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Think they should have some heavy clauses written in to the 10 year contract pretty much saying that we will assess after say three years.

Think they have a fair point though with the entertainment thing, back in the day it was fantastic to walk along Douglas Promenade popping in to every bar that each had there own rock band playing, all organized by each individual bar. The TT entertainment took a nose dive in the 90's when the IoM Gov took control of things.
21-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

@Revvin rich
Saw something similar 2years ago at Crosby jump.
Drunk idiots not realising how dangerous alcohol and watching TT on a sod bank is. 1 guy almost fell into the road during the Lightweight.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

11-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(21-04-2016, 08:24 PM)veefour Wrote: Well at least there's one minister that's got a bit of common sense, to late now though I fear. Am I really glad I went to the TT the years I did !!  

He might be an MHK, but he wont be giving them any trouble as be has been bared out of Tynwald on another matter!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
31-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(21-04-2016, 10:54 AM)Malcolm Wrote:
[Image: vision9teamwithgov.jpg]
The Vision Nine team with Economic Development Minister Laurence Skelly

If that is a picture of the Vision 9 team with Lawrence Skelly, does that mean the Clerk of the course, and the 'Minister Of Fun' are part of the Vision 9 team, or is this a Typo?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
31-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
Strange, I thought the TT was the Entertainment - silly me. As someone says above, I'm glad I had my TT experience before the IOMG got its grubby hands on it.
02-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
A comforting thought is that if mistakes are made, the HoK will likely see the damage in time to fix it. The TT is a critical part of the island and so long as the race continus, mistakes can always be fixed.
02-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Find Reply
DaveOldham Offline

Threads: 0
Are vision 9 expecting the mountain road to be open at all during TT fortnight with 86,000 visitors? Doesn't seem likely after this week's shambles
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016, 06:05 PM by DaveOldham.)
02-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
Vision 9, plan to extend the entertainment at the tt,and bring over bigger crowds,count me in, but how am I getting there, and where will I stay?..I usually do the tt and put circa 2k into the Manx coffers,but it's the s100 this year, nothing against the steam packet, but another company in competition,Like happened on Orkney,along with more camping facilities would bring more people over.
03-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

The infrastructure needs to be in place which many of us know is  insufficient.

I chatted to one of the ladies running camping and refreshments at Rhencullen and apparently Regency Travel didn't book their tent spaces efficiently. 30 tents last year were not booked for every night of TT. eg if a tent was booked for 2-3 nights, it was discounted for other bookings even if the dates didn't clash.

Several pubs have shut since my last visit 18 months ago. People need transport to/from the island as well as accommodation, shops, places to eat/shop etc. Service in some places leaves a lot to be desired. Speaking to someone staying in Michael, they were amazed to go to the pub to find they couldn't get food after practise yesterday.

Vision 9 have their work cut out.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

04-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Find Reply