Bruce Anstey sets sights on a world best at Dundrod
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Bruce Anstey sets sights on a world best at Dundrod
[Image: bruceonpadgettshonda.jpg]
Fastest man: Bruce Anstey will try to beat his own lap record at the Ulster Grand Prix in August

Kiwi Bruce Anstey is confident he can increase his 'World's Fastest Road Race' lap record at this year's MCE Insurance Ulster Grand Prix, after it was put under threat by Michael Dunlop at the Isle of Man TT.

Dunlop backed up a sensational TT Superbike double by setting a new absolute lap record on the island at 133.962mph en route to his 13th career victory on Mona's Isle.

It was a 'smidgen' outside Anstey's all-time fastest lap at Dundrod, which the 47-year-old Kiwi recorded back in 2010 with an effort of 133.997mph - helping the promoting Dundrod & District Motor Cycle Club, use the moniker: World's Fastest Road Race.

A man of few words, Padgetts' Racing ace Anstey is confident that he can up his game once again this August at the MCE UGP, and possibly see the 134 mph mark reached for the first time.

"I've had a really good run and am hoping to keep that going," said the Windsor-based Kiwi.

"I wanted to beat my record last year at Dundrod and I thought the weather was good enough but it just didn't happen.

"The track temperature was great back in 2010 - the year I got the average lap of 133.997mph - but I'll definitely be trying again this year on the Padgetts' Honda."

Speaking of Clive Padgett's well-established road racing team, Anstey added: "Obviously I'm back with Padgetts for the sixth year running. Having the same team definitely gives me an advantage over those getting used to a new set-up."

On his Dundrod knowledge he said: "The other thing I have in my corner is experience. The young guys are getting quicker but the knowledge I have from so many years racing really helps, especially at a fast circuit like Dundrod.

"I love competing there. It's a real close second to the Isle of Man for me. Such a fast, flowing circuit with flying corners and that's what I like. I'm still really enjoying it and can't wait to get back out there."

Clerk of Course Noel Johnston was at this year's TT finalising his rider line-up, and with the recruitment process still in full swing, he said: "I think the scene could be set to beat the lap record again at the famous Dundrod circuit this August," he smiled.

"The racing at the TT was incredible and given the weather conditions and the fact that the machinery is getting faster every year, I'm not surprised that Michael Dunlop almost beat Bruce's record.

"Watching the Senior TT race was a bit of a nail-biter for us, as we're proud of our status as the world's fastest road race and want to hold onto that title, although I can easily see the record going at this year's MCE UGP, if the racing conditions are right.

"Either way, I think we're in for a thrilling finale to the international road racing calendar,"
Johnston added.

The MCE Insurance Ulster Grand Prix will take place between August 8-13 at Dundrod, Co. Antrim.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Paul Lindsay
21-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Website Find Reply