Solid Start for Movistar Yamaha MotoGP at TT Assen
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Solid Start for Movistar Yamaha MotoGP at TT Assen
[Image: yamahamovistarlogo.jpg]

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP's Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo showed their intentions for this weekend's TT Assen round today. The teammates enjoyed two productive free practice sessions, securing second and fifth place respectively in the combined time sheets.

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP's Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo started the eighth round of the MotoGP World Championship today at an overcast TT Circuit Assen. The teammates set a solid pace early on in the weekend, during what are expected to be the only dry sessions of the TT Assen, securing second and fifth position respectively in the combined times.

Eager to claim a position in the top ten, Valentino Rossi needed little time to get a feel for the iconic 'Cathedral of Speed'. Determined to battle for victory again this weekend, he hit the ground running and climbing to third in the provisional results list on his first stint. He kept this position while working on the balance of his bike whilst comparing the two frames brought by Yamaha until the pace quickened at the end of FP1. His best time, a 1'34.758s, earned him seventh place.

The Doctor made great progress in the afternoon. With some rays of sun peering through the clouds, he rode his YZR-M1 to a provisional third position and continued to improve his times throughout the session. He didn't stop pushing until he set a 1'33.595s lap for second place, only 0.004s from first.

Teammate Jorge Lorenzo was also quick on the pace in the morning practice session, climbing up to second after the first ten minutes. Having established a good rhythm around the TT Circuit Assen, he shifted his attention towards fine-tuning the basis set up of his YZR-M1 with both frames. He finished FP1 in sixth position with a best lap of 1'34.722s.

The Mallorcan carried forward his solid form in the afternoon. He was keen to head back out on track and gradually built up his pace. He continued to work hard on his setting and dropped under the 1'34 mark at the end of the session. His fastest time of 1'33.991s puts him in fifth place in today's combined times, 0.400s from the front.

[Image: rossiassen1.jpg]

Massimo Meregalli - Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team Director

"The predicted rain could mean that today's FP1 and FP2 were the only dry sessions of the week, making it crucial for our riders to finish in the top ten today, to make it safely through to Q2 tomorrow. We are pleased to have done just that. We've been busy working on finding a good set up whilst comparing the two frames we brought here on both sides of the garage. Vale will change to the old frame whereas Jorge will probably continue to use the new one. Valentino had two productive practice sessions today and this showed in his fast time at the end of FP2. He feels comfortable on his bike and seems to have resolved some of the issues he had in the morning. Jorge also delivered solid and consistent times and made great progress, dropping under the 1'34s mark, but is not completely satisfied yet. With the use of today's data we identified the areas we will work on tonight to prepare something for tomorrow's Free Practice 3, however the conditions at the track could be very different by then."

Valentino Rossi - 2nd / 1'33.595 / 41 laps

"It was a good day and I'm quite satisfied. This morning I had a small problem but in the afternoon we improved the setting of the bike and we improved my speed. In the end Iannone just beat me by 0.004s, but I'm in second place so I'm quite happy. For sure we need to continue to work. With the harder tyre for the race it will be a bit more difficult with a higher pace, and four or five riders are very fast. We need to improve but, for a Friday, it was a good performance. We compared the chassis we have tried during the Barcelona test another time. The difference is not so big but in the end I prefer my standard frame. I have more feeling in the front so we will continue with the normal one."

Jorge Lorenzo - 5th / 1'33.991 / 38 laps

"Today we again tried the new chassis on a different track. In Montmeló I felt quite a big difference, here I didn't feel it so much so I need one more day to understand if it's also better here. It's been a difficult day, but at least we practiced in dry conditions. We are still missing something, especially in T4 and I also don't completely like how the bike is working, so we are going to try to change the setting for tomorrow. We are not far behind, but I would like to have some more speed."

24-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Website Find Reply