Ups and downs at Knockhill for Quattro Plant Kawasaki
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ups and downs at Knockhill for Quattro Plant Kawasaki
[Image: stalkeratknockhill.jpg]

The Quattro Plant Kawasaki team were back in British Championship action at Knockhill at the weekend and although it proved to be a challenging meeting, the team came away with their first podium of the year in the MCE British Superbike Championship after Luke Mossey took third place in the first race of the day whilst three solid drives gave Ricky Stevens the lead in the British Sidecar Championship.

Mossey qualified in 12th place for Sunday’s opening British Superbike Championship race and although he dropped back initially, he immediately reversed that trend. Indeed, by the time the race reached half-race distance, he was up into third and well in contention for the win. He ultimately fell just short but the rostrum position got his season firmly back on track.

His strong pace saw him start the second race from the front row of the grid although the good, dry weather had been replaced by wet conditions. A poor start was the last thing Luke wanted but sadly that was what happened and he was down in 13th at the end of the first lap. He managed to move up to 12th at half race distance and that was where he crossed the line after 30 long laps.

Team-mate Filip Backlund found himself in 21st place and on the seventh row of the grid for the first 30-lap affair and he battled hard throughout, eventually taking the chequered flag in 19th place. Forced to start from the slightly lower position of 23rd for race two, the Swedish rider had fought his way back up to 19th once more by half race distance but on the 16th lap, he suffered a big high-side at Duffus Dip fortunately escaping injury.

Meanwhile, a disappointing 17th in the wet weather on Saturday afternoon saw Andrew Reid relinquish his lead in the Dickies British Supersport Championship. The Northern Irishman had qualified in second place but problems with the quickshifter saw him drop back to last and although he moved through the field, he was unable to claim any points.

Main rival James Westmoreland finished second to take the lead in the Championship and although Andy responded in Sunday’s ‘Feature’ race to finish eighth on the Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki, he now finds himself in second overall in the title table, 22 points behind Westmoreland.

For sidecar team members Ricky Stevens and Ryan Charlwood, it was an eventful weekend too with the latter falling out of the chair and suffering a dislocated shoulder in Friday’s free practice session. That meant Charlie Richardson was drafted in as passenger and despite only having a handful of laps together, the new pairing qualified in third place for the weekend’s three races.

A spin in Saturday’s first 15-lap encounter after a coming together with another crew saw them complete the first lap in dead last but they fought back to claim eighth place and they bounced back later in the day to improve to third. It looked like they’d saved the best until last when they led Sunday’s third and final race but a spin on lap eight dropped them back to third. However, the weekend’s results now mean Ricky has a 17-point lead in the title race.

Luke Mossey: 

“The first race was one of the toughest I’ve ever had as I knew it was going to be difficult coming through the field from 12th. The safety car period definitely helped me and I was able to pick off the riders ahead of me one by one. It certainly wasn’t easy but the bike was working brilliantly as it has done all year and having shown our pace at various stages of the season so far, it was great for it all to come together and take our first podium. The second race result might not look the best on paper but it was one of my better rides in the wet and I’ve gained a lot of confidence from today’s two races.”

Filip Backlund:

“It’s been a frustrating weekend for me as although I’ve improved with the bike in certain areas, I haven’t in others. I was hoping to score some good points this weekend as everyone’s putting in so much effort but I didn’t manage to do that in either race, the second ending in a big crash. Fortunately, I’m ok and we have to look at the positives from the weekend. I’m looking forward to Snetterton now – it’s one of my favourite circuits so, hopefully, I’ll get my first points there.”

Andy Reid: 

“What can I say, it’s been a tough weekend for us at Knockhill. An electrical fault in race one severely hindered me and I was unable to score any points but in the second, I kept it upright to bring the bike home in one piece in eighth and score some points. I had great pace in the dry conditions and I feel as if we just lacked the ideal setting for the wet conditions this weekend. I’m looking forward to getting back home and out on my new bike from Dave Kane cycles. Roll on Snetterton!”

Ricky Stevens: 

“It’s certainly been a mixed weekend but if a bad weekend’s two thirds and an eighth I can’t be too unhappy! Losing Ryan obviously changed things for me but Charlie’s an experienced passenger so I didn’t have to worry about him and the main thing is that I’ve come away leading the Championship. I would have loved the win in the last race but I made a mistake and had to settle for third again – my smile’s not as big as I would have liked, there are plenty of positives to take away from the weekend.”

Pete Extance, Team Owner: 

“Knockhill was always going to be a tough weekend and with the short nature of the circuit and in the inclement weather conditions, so it’s proved! It’s been one of the most difficult weekends of the year but Ricky and Charlie got some solid points on the board, including two podiums, and leading the British Championship is great for all concerned. Luke also did a great job and he really showed what a talent he is with his first podium of the season. The conditions were treacherous in the second race but he picked up some solid points after taking a creditable 12th.”

“Filip struggled for most of the weekend and I think he’s still nursing a bit of an injury from his pre-season crash. He couldn’t find the set up or pace to get into the top 15 and, fortunately, he escaped injury after his huge second race crash. Andy had a difficult weekend too and what started full of promise, started disappointingly with electrical issues in race one. In the second race though, he used his head in the poor weather and brought the bike home for what could prove to be eight vital points.”

The next round of the series takes place in two week’s time at Snetterton, Norfolk.

Race One: 
1 Leon Haslam (Kawasaki); 2 Dan Linfoot (Honda); 3 Luke Mossey (Quattro Plant Teccare Kawasaki); 19 Filip Backlund (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki)

Race Two: 
1 Shane Byrne (Ducati); 2 James Ellison (Kawasaki); 3 Dan Linfoot (Honda); 12 Luke Mossey (Quattro Plant Teccare Kawasaki); DNF Filip Backlund (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki)

Championship Positions:

1 Haslam 128pts; 2 Byrne 115; 3 Iddon 94; 10 Mossey 56

Dickies British Supersport Championship results

Race One: 
1 Benjamin Currie (Yamaha); 2 James Westmoreland (Yamaha); 3 Luke Jones (Triumph); 17 Andy Reid (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki)

Race Two: 
1 Tarran Mackenzie (Kawasaki); 2 Luke Jones (Triumph); 3 James Westmoreland (Yamaha); 8 Andy Reid (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki)

Championship Positions: 
1 Westmoreland 115pts; 2 Reid 93; 3 Jones 83

Hyundai Heavy Industries British Sidecar Championship results

Race One: 
1 Holland/Watson (LCR Kawasaki); 2 Walker/Hawes (LCR Kawasaki); 3 Biggs/Ransley (LCR Suzuki); 8 Stevens/Richardson (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki)

Race Two:

Holland/Watson (LCR Kawasaki); 2 Walker/Hawes (LCR Kawasaki); 3 Stevens/Richardson (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki)

Race Three: 
1 Holland/Watson (LCR Kawasaki); 2 Walker/Hawes (LCR Kawasaki); 3 Stevens/Richardson (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki)

Championship Positions: 
1 Stevens/Richardson/Charlwood 100pts; 2 Holland/Watson 83; 3 Walker/Hawes 82

28-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Website Find Reply