Joey Dunlop Museum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joey Dunlop Museum
It is reported on the front page of todays 'Ballymoney Times' that a private collector has offered for sale to the Council a collection of Joey's machines and memorabilia.

Councillor Bill Kennedy has proposed the Council purchase the collection and dedicate a hall at the Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre as a museum to Joey.

Bill Kennedy a former road racer himself who did the Irish roads and the Southern in my time is the brother of the late 'Big' Frank Kennedy was the driving force behind aquiring the land and raising a large proportion of the funds from the Council for Joey's mmemorial garden when he was Lord Mayor, I believe that if it had not been for Bill the garden would not exist.
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Joey Dunlop Museum
That sounds wonderful. I was once shown round someone's Joey collection and it was a joy to see. It would be nice for everyone to be able to share it.
07-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Say THAT again!

Is Frank Kennedy passed on?
07-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Frank an absolutely smashing bloke, and a dam good road racer, and one of six Kennedy brothers had a tragic accident involving three riders at the Northwest 200 many years ago he survived the immediate accident but passed away from his injuries some, 'unless memory fails me' some months later.

08-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

To be more precise it was 1979 the same day we lost Tom Herron. 'Big Frank' was involved in a high speed collision, caused by mechanical failure with Kevin Stowe approching Coleraine, both were very seriously injured. Warren Willing got tangled up in the accident and broke a leg. A very black day.
08-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom as you say a black day indeed but you metioned Kevin Stowe, did Kevin ever recover that horrific accident.
08-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pykey, I don't know what happened to Kevin, but I do quite often speak a lady who nursed Frank and Kevin when they were in hospital.

When I see her again I will ask her if she knows what happened to him.
08-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as i can recall , Kevin did make a good recovery , in fact i also recall , reading in Irelands Saturday Night , about a year after the crash , that he would be making a comeback and to race at the NW 200 , I know he never raced at the nw200 again, but as to whether he ever raced again , i cant say , maybe he did one or two and called it quits , a good pilot he was before that tragic accident.
08-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Couldn't agree more!
22-01-2004, 11:01 AM