BAD LUCK THWARTS GBMOTO PODIUM CHALLENGE AT ULSTER GRAND PRIX
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BAD LUCK THWARTS GBMOTO PODIUM CHALLENGE AT ULSTER GRAND PRIX
[Image: jgspeedfitroadshdr.jpg]

Having shown strong pace throughout practice and qualifying, the GBmoto Racing Kawasaki team were confident heading into race day at the Ulster Grand Prix today, however a puncture and technical problems thwarted Peter Hickman from showing his true potential.

Despite damp weather affecting the opening practice and qualifying sessions, Peter Hickman was able to put his Superbike-spec Kawasaki ZX-10R in second place ahead of Superpole and the Superstock machine in ninth. With the new one-lap format Superpole being pushed back to Saturday, Hicky, as he known to his legions of fans, powered the Superbike around the seven mile circuit to claim third place and a front row start for the two main races.

Enjoying a fantastic start in the Superstock race, he leapt off from his third row starting position to lead at the halfway point around the opening lap. Crossing the start line at the beginning of lap two in second place narrowly behind eventual winner Hutchinson, disaster soon struck and, just like in the corresponding race at the Isle of Man TT, a puncture forced him to retire at the end of lap two.

Confident of a better showing in the opening Superbike race, Peter again enjoyed a fantastic start to be involved in a four rider battle for the lead. Setting the fastest lap of the race on the third circulation, just 0.1s outside the lap record and a stunning 133.99mph average, it looked set to be a nail biting finish. Unfortunately a technical fault towards the end of lap five forced him to retire.

Following the technical fault in the opening race, Peter started the final Superbike race using his Superstock ZX-10R machine. Enjoying a strong opening lap to run fourth over the line, he was just unable to stay with the higher power of the Superbikes, taking the chequered flag in a credible seventh place. His overall race time however was faster than the Superstock winning time from earlier in the day.

Hickman was however able to climb the rostrum in the second Supersport outing, carving his way through the field over the closing stages to claim third.

Disappointed, Peter Hickman said, 

“It's been a tough day, I felt I could have won the stock race this morning, was leading from the first corner but halfway through lap one I knew I had an issue. Turns out it was a rear puncture. The Supersport races went well, I was a bit too tentative in first race at start as it was still wet and got a podium in the second. The Superbike race went well, I was comfortable and running with the leaders no problem, then had a technical problem with the bike. I recorded the fastest lap of the race though at 133.892mph and clocked 199.8mph through the speed trap.. Last race was tough on the stocker in  the Superbike race, 7th was as much as I can do!”  

GBmoto Racing Team Principal Mark Smith-Halvorsen concluded, 

“Today has been a day where Peter Hickman rode as well as anybody, but didn't get what he deserved out of it. A fantastic podium on the 600, two fastest race laps, including a 133.9mph Superbike lap and a race time on a the Superstock bike late on, that would have won earlier in the day - means it's a day of what ifs. Thanks to everybody that backed our effort, we will be doing things differently ahead of the Macau GP.”

[Image: peterhickmanatugp.jpg]
Peter had strong pace throughout the meeting
14-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Website Find Reply