Future IOM Racing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Future IOM Racing?
Just my general observations:-

When I was last on the island in 1986 the place seemed in terminal decline with a tourism industry that was still hanging on to its Victorian origins. The TT and MGP seemed vital spects to the islands economy. After a 15-year gap, I came back to the island in 2002 to compete again in the MGP. The interregnum being filled with the usual marriage/children/work distractions. The course hadn't changed that much but the island itself certainly had. Getting accommodation was significantly more difficult. Several hotels and guesthouses had disappeared and replaced or converted to expensive yuppie type flats. Property prices seem to have sky rocketed; many new expensive business buildings have sprouted up, typical of the offshore tax-dodging genre. I presume the people populating this industry require places to live befitting their status and the property price for them is an incidental expense. I spent some time looking at the roof structure of an amazing futuristic new building and was amazed to be told that it was the new waste incinerator. A new power station has a glass fronted turbine room with a chimney design that is pure sculpture. In many senses the island is booming but this seems to be independent of other industry and business in the island (tourism/agriculture) The farmer I stayed with last year is converting his cow sheds to a riding school because there is more money in entertaining the yuppies. These people came to the island purely for business reasons and, I presume, are now having an influence on the political decision making processes. Some will have bought properties within ear shot of the track, they will have there daily routine disrupted by road closures, they will be making judgements based on London suburb conventions, not 100 years of IOM tradition. Based on no research, just casual observation, I believe this to be the main threat to racing on the island. I would be interested in the opinions of those who live on the island ? Phil

14-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Future IOM Racing?
I loved the term "yuppies". I can relate to your story with regards to the most famous speedway venue in Australia, the Sydney Showground. It had been running for well over 50 years but wealthy and influential people (some of them Yuppies) moved into the residential area surrounding this wonderful track and decided they didn't want to be disturbed by the noise which usually ceased about 10.30 Sat. evenings during summer. The original locals had no problems whatsoever. The newcomers had money, power and were very influential and some had friends in high places. Now thousands of fans are denied their sport because of a few. As much as I love the Isle of Man I would never have though of visiting there if not for the TT.
14-01-2004, 09:14 PM