BATTLE FOR 2016 BSB CROWN BEGINS - JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BATTLE FOR 2016 BSB CROWN BEGINS - JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI
[Image: jgspeedfithdr2.jpg]

BATTLE FOR 2016 BSB CROWN BEGINS AS JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI START SHOWDOWN CHALLENGE 

After a dominant display at Oulton Park last weekend, which saw a history-making podium lockout and the team secure three wins, JG Speedfit Kawasaki riders Leon Haslam and James Ellison head to Donington Park to begin their Showdown challenge whilst Peter Hickman starts his bid to be crowned Riders’ Cup victor.

With just three rounds and seven races remaining to decide the destination of the 2016 MCE British Superbike Championship crown, the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team head to Donington Park this weekend holding a slender three point advantage in the standings. It is Leon who leads the way, and with four wins from the last four races he will be looking to carry that momentum on at one of his favourite race circuits and a track he knows better than most. James made a very welcome return to the podium at Oulton Park, with two strong second places – narrowly missing out on the victory. He sits 33 points behind his team mate but knows two strong races can see that gap drastically reduce.

Pete narrowly missed out on claiming his maiden Showdown position at Oulton Park, however he will now spend the next three rounds fighting to be crowned the Riders’ Cup Champion. After making his first podium return since his memorable victory at Silverstone, Pete will be looking to repeat that performance this weekend.  

The Donington Park circuit is one of two halves, with the opening section being a real fast and flowing blend of corners whilst the final section sees the riders face a number of stop/start sections. This mix of riding style makes machine set-up difficult to balance out for both sections, however it is a track rider’s love. Last year, the iconic circuit played host to the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team’s maiden Superbike win, with James taking a dominant victory in the opening race of the season.

[Image: jgspeedfitboysatoulton.jpg]
The Showdown Contenders

Leading the Championship and winning the last four races on the bounce, Leon Haslam is looking forward to Donington Park 

“I’ve definitely lost track of how many laps of Donington I’ve done over the years, but it’s genuinely a circuit I love to race and I’ve had some fantastic results there in the past. After a bit of a tough mid-season we’ve had two fantastic rounds and to win the last four races has really set us up for the Showdown now. I believe the Kawasaki will work well at Donington – James showed last year the old ZX-10R was capable of winning around there and although the 2016 one is a completely new machine I’m confident we can go there and replicate that success.

This will be my first time in the Showdown format but I’m excited to get it going. It’ll certainly be a tough few rounds for sure, all six Title Fighters are capable of victory so it’s going to be an intense seven races!”

Knowing he can again challenge for victory, James Ellison knows he can reduce the point’s gap this weekend

“I’m really looking forward to Donington Park, it’s definitely one of my favourite tracks and it offers a real mix of everything. Although it can make machine set-up a bit of a challenge, it’s a fantastic circuit that’s a lot of fun to ride. Last year we were really strong and we were able to get the first ever British Superbike win for the team which was mega.

Aside from the problems in the final race, Oulton was a brilliant event and we were able to be back fighting for the win – which is crucial going into the Showdown. The bike still isn’t 100% but I’m feeling strong on it so our goal is to reduce the gap to the front and get our title challenge underway!”

Pleased to make a podium return, Peter Hickman will be looking to get his bid for the 2016 Riders’ Cup title 

“I’m feeling positive for Donington this weekend. It’s a circuit that I really love and one I think should suit the Kawasaki quite well. Given it was the opening round last year, it’s felt like ages since we were last there riding so I’m quite excited to get going on Friday morning now!

I’ve had some great results there in the past, and although we just missed out on the Showdown our motivation hasn’t changed and we’re looking forward to trying to repeat our podium form as we look to fight for the 2016 Riders’ Cup.”

GBmoto Racing Team Principal, Mark Smith-Halvorsen concluded,

“The next three rounds are going to be incredibly important for the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team. This is the first time we’ve been able to get two riders into the Showdown and to be coming in leading the way, off the back of a podium lockout and four consecutive wins shows our intent on the destination of the 2016 title. Both Leon and James are capable of winning the Championship this year and we’ll be doing everything we can to ensure they have the tools to do that. Our focus on Pete doesn’t change and as always he’ll have the same opportunities as the other guys as we look to secure the Riders’ Cup trophy too.”

15-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Website Find Reply