Peter Jarmann Trophy at Southern 100
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peter Jarmann Trophy at Southern 100
I meant to put this on the board a few weeks ago. Southern 100 Club Secretary Geoge Peach has told me that the club are in the process of organising a trophy in memory of Peter Jarmann, to be awarded to the best newcomer in the Classic Singles Race. The club feel that this would the most appropriate thing to do for him.

Peter absolutely loved all the meetings at Billown, especially the Classic races, and I am very pleased to hear that there will now be a tangible reminder of him at the races.
19-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Peter Jarmann Trophy at Southern 100
I'm so pleased about this...must get the cheque book out and buy a few reps...care to join me, anyone?
20-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are reps?
20-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Replica trophies, Hans. If you look on the Southern100 website, you will see that they have a system where you can donate the cost of a replica or a finishers award.
20-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

HAPPIER NEW YEAR HELEN BE GOOD YES WE WILL HAVE SOME OF THAT
20-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great idea Helen, I'm up for that. a nice way to remember Peter.

John
20-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

A lovely memory of Peter, TT Supporters Club Rep, TT Rider, TT Lap of Honour Rider..........

Does he not qualify for a TT memory.

I'm sorry but I cannot see the link with the Southern 100 in this circumstance....Please explain.
21-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian, although I have put this posting on the ttwebsite board for information purposes, this actually has nothing whatsoever to do with the TT. Peter was a great supporter of racing on the Billown Circuit, having competed there for many years on both classic and modern machinery, and the Southern 100 Committee have taken the decision to remember him at their club through this trophy. I've no idea whether there are any plans for a memorial to Peter on the TT Course - that's a totally separate issue.
21-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peter used to stay on the Isle of Man for much of the summer,doing any races that cropped up especially on Billown, go home, and let Kenny Birch pick up his bike from a guy in Castletown at Manx time! Latterly, he simply left the bus till next year!
He is almost a symbol of the quietly spoken, unpretentious racer who is the real star of the whole show. He has been "almost there" so often, and without his like, tickling the fast men with more competitive bikes, some records may not have happened.
In 2002, my granddaughter and I yelled ourselves hoarse for him at the Southern 100 and were just overjoyed at his podium position.
We should have a statue, in his likeness, but just "To the TT riders". The guys who MAKE the event, but seldom get a mention.
Peter would be amazed at our love and respect...he never thought that highly of himself...he was just having fun.
21-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not want to sound disrespectful to Peter Jarmann, but there have been many dozens of racers killed on the island. They all died what they loved doing, namely roadracing. Picking out one and ignoring the many others might seem unfair to the families who lost someone.
22-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nobody has mentioned Steve Hislop.

We Can't forget him either
22-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone considered a memorial for all competitors who paid the ultimate price and a wreath laying ceromony each year?
22-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Memorial Park
I have advocated such a park for some time. A lot of the memorial seats around the course are sand-bagged during race fortnight, some people do not even know of the Mike Hailwood seat at Hailwood Heights (Brandywell). Better to gather them all together where they can be used for the benefit of all fans who can use them to view the races. The area in front of the old radar station, now the Murrays Museum would be the ideal site, the Joey memorial is already there. The land is Government owned already.
22-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Memorial Park
What about Ralph Rensen etc---They were all big names of their time--Nobody remembers them now !!!
26-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quite wrong Ian, drove into a local builders yard yesterday van bedecked in TT stickers as it is and this elderly gentleman came up to me asking if i went to the TT answered yes of course, after discussing the top names our common hero's were Bob Mac and Mike Hailwood, then proceeded to mention Ralph Rensen, Ray Pickrell, Percy Tait, Selwyn Griffiths, Joe Dunphy, Malcolm Uphill, Peter Williams to name but a few. I was almost in tears what else in the world could inspire an hours conversation with a complete stranger
28-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

sex
28-01-2004, 05:07 PM