Six Laps or Four Laps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Six Laps or Four Laps?
Having read a fair number of your comments on the reduction of laps, I thought I would give you my three pennyworth.
Despite the increase in speed, I can assure you that there is no comparison with the ease and comfort of the modern race (road) bikes and the uncomfortable old bikes. Suspension,brakes, handling, the whole lot is in a different league today.But the biggest difference, and this must be the main factor, is the lack of vibration compared to the old bangers, the TD2B's, TZ250 and 350's that I rode in the 70's. The effect of vibration on your body for well over two hours was pretty dramatic, and I can remember climbing off a TZ after six laps and almost collapsing with fatigue.
I honestly don't see that today,but in the same vein I take nothing away from anyone who can lap the course in under 18 minutes, to me that is demanding the utmost in skill, concentration, and courage.Surely if you are going to enter the TT you are going to arrive on the Island in the peak of physical and mental fitness?This isn't a run out to the coast and back, nor is it 8 laps round Cadwell!I wouldn't be at all surprised if the real problem is that the modern riders simply ain't fit enough. I was never the fittest either but I did make a conscious effort from Christmas on to be as fit as I could be for the TT
I still believe that six laps is the right distance for a main class TT, and I will be putting this point across when I come over for the Manx Dinner next week.
I look forward to meeting up with a lot of old mates then.
22-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Six Laps or Four Laps?
I must be the most unfit person I know I do little or no training and only try to lose a bit of weight in time for the Manx. I have no experience of doing six laps of the TT course all my Manx GP races have been 4 lappers.
However I have never ever felt any kind of fatigue after four laps except for my fist race when my hands were very stiff after holding on too tightly.
However six laps round Nutts Corner which is less than the distance to Ballacraine leaves me absolutly bloody knackered.
Know I know my TT course speeds are a lot less than the superstars but I'm comparing like with like here.
So I am all in favour of six lap TT's in fact I'd enjoy the challange of a return of six laps Manx GP races.
22-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Six or Four, Well to be honest it has to be Six.
This Year will be My 11th time to compete over the World Famous TT Mountain Course and Having Raced in both 6 and 4 lap Races I see no differance in Fatigue between the two. I seem to enjoy My Race more if it is 6 laps and Ive got to agree with Cargo as I find 8 laps around Jurby more demanding than 6 laps around the TT Course. Ok Im not lapping at 120 mph or any where near that, But I do tend to Qualify for Races Entered.The TT course is all about Knowledge and Smoothness. The Better You know the Course and the Smoother You Ride the Quicker Your Lap Speed I have found this to be true in the past.

Mr Cretney please let Us have our 6 laps back, I also think the Fans would like to see this too.
All The Best Irish Ago Racing....
22-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well looking from the non racers point of view, again 6 laps it has to be.
We wait 11 months of the year to see the best road racers in the world compete on the 'Everest' of motorcycling racing.
The TT is known for being the hardest race in the world and it shouldn't be changed in my view.
I haven't heard any good reason why the two main races have been cut to four but I hope Nick can express the concern of racers and spectators at the decision.
22-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'd enjoy 6 laps, Cargo. Ive only done one, and it was brilliant, and, like you, Im far more knackered after a short circuit race ( and dont forget, Im basically a short ciruit rider)than I am after an MGP race.
22-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a spectator (as a fan I know that it is bl**dy hard work for the riders to do ANY number of laps), but as a spectator I say that a 4 lap F1/Senior doesn't mean anything.
I have been going to the TT since 1977, but I seriously thought about not going this year when I heard of the reduction.

23-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking back to Nick's original comments regarding bike developments and remembering my own comments, under "Controversial at least", I just wonder how much technical improvement and progress can be directly attributed to the IOM.

Cetainly I firmly believe that the TT should be a test of Man (sorry, person) and Machine which only the FULL race distance can reveal.

Widely differing road surfaces, constantly changing altitudes, temperatures, humidity, etc.

How many bikes were sold on the basis of being "TT Replicas" and others based on 24 hour ENDURANCE races? Hmmm, but there again, the Thruxton 500 was a good reference!

PS Nick, I think that I owe you some thanks. I few years ago you visited Motorcycle City, Farnborough/Aldershot to view some used bikes and gave my wife some good tips on starting a reluctant SR125!

24-01-2004, 05:59 PM