TRIPLE DELIGHT AS JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI FINISH 2016 IN STYLE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TRIPLE DELIGHT AS JG SPEEDFIT KAWASAKI FINISH 2016 IN STYLE
[Image: jgspeedfithdr2.jpg]

Despite Leon Haslam missing out on winning the 2016 British Superbike title, the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team ensured it was a dominant final weekend at Brands Hatch, winning all three races with Peter Hickman and James Ellison, with James securing third in the Championship and Peter the Riders Cup title.

Following yesterday’s mixed day of action, which saw Leon and James crash out of the opening race of the weekend but team mate Peter claim victory, the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team were eager to end the 2016 season on a high today.

Sitting 27 points behind series leader Byrne ahead of Sunday’s opening race, Leon knew he had to beat Byrne in order to keep his title hopes alive to the final race. Following yesterday’s crash he would start the race from 23rd  whilst James would be fourth and Pete second. Launching off the line, James and Pete entered a race long game of cat and mouse, with James eventually claiming his first victory of the season with Pete in third. Despite a stunning ride through the field to finish fifth, Leon was unable to take the fight for the crown to the final race.

With the track fully dry for the final race of the day, the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team were keen to keep their winning momentum going. After the initial running was red flagged, it was reduced to a ten lap sprint. Again getting a fantastic start, James led into the final corner and was able to hold on to claim a double victory and secure third in the Championship standings. Leon finished fourth with Pete in 12th. James’ victory ensured the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team has won 50% of the 2016 races.  

[Image: JamesEllisonBRandsRace3win.jpg]
James Ellison Race 3 Winner

[Image: PeteHIckmanatbrands.jpg]
Peter Hickman is Riders Cup Champion

Disappointed to miss out on his maiden title Leon Haslam said

“This year has really been one highs and lows. We’ve had some issues but we’ve also had some fantastic races and I really want to thank the whole JG Speedfit Kawasaki team. This last round here at Brands has been really hard and we’ve had some issues but I’ve learnt a lot and know what to do next year! Generally, looking back on the year I’m really happy and all three of us in the team have worked brilliantly together. Unfortunately, I did all my crashing in the showdown but we’ve still scored the same amount of wins as Shakey, achieved more podiums and scored more points overall so I’m happy with that. It’s fired me up and I can’t wait for next year!”

Pleased to be taking his first double win, James Ellison explained, 

“I’ve been working at it all year and it’s great to get two wins together! The top ten this year has been unbelievably fast and we’ve been breaking lap records and setting fastest laps every round. I fought really hard in both races today and to get those two wins means everything – to get third in the championship too is great, particularly given the mid-season problems we had. Finishing third behind Shakey and Leon is no mean feat and I can move on to next year and come back to try and take that title!”

Securing the Riders Cup, Peter Hickman said 

“I’m absolutely over the moon to get the Riders Cup, it’s been a really strong season for us. After narrowly missing out on the Showdown my goal was to win the Cup so it’s mega to be leaving here with it. We’ve scored well over 200 points in the Championship which is the first time I’ve ever done that so massive thanks to the whole JG Speedfit Kawasaki team for giving me a package I can win races on – particularly in such a tough year. Hopefully we can come back next year and go even better.”

GBmoto Racing Team Principal, Mark Smith-Halvorsen concluded, 

“We’ve had another fantastic weekend, winning all three races which means we’ve won 50% of the 2016 races – which is an incredible feeling. Looking back at the year, I’m so proud of what the team has done; we’re the first team to achieve a podium lock out as well as have three riders win in a season, we won the Manufacturers Cup as well as the Riders Cup and also finished second and third overall. We might not be Champions, but I honestly believe we’ve been the best team.”

(This post was last modified: 16-10-2016, 07:43 PM by Malcolm.)
16-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Website Find Reply