TRICKY FIRST DAY IN SEPANG FOR THE LCR HONDA TEAM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TRICKY FIRST DAY IN SEPANG FOR THE LCR HONDA TEAM
[Image: lcrhondahdr.jpg]

Challenging track conditions on the first day of the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang meant that it could be a tough weekend at the office for the premier class riders. Overnight rain had left the track damp in patches as Cal Crutchlow and the rest of the MotoGP field took to the circuit for the morning free practice session.

Crutchlow was regularly amongst the front runners in those early stages, but whereas the other riders fitted new tyres, the team’s plan meant they stayed on the same rubber they started with. The Brit finished the session in 13th place, which didn’t tell the true story of his pace.

Unfortunately, rain arrived at the track just a few minutes later, and when the riders went back out for a wet afternoon practice, there wasn’t enough time for the track to dry completely. Crutchlow did take a gamble by fitting slicks for the final few minutes, and although he set the second-fastest time of the session with his last lap, it was no quicker than in the morning.

The main concern for the LCR Honda Team will the forecast of more rain for much of Saturday. Currently being outside the top ten, this could well mean that for the second race in succession Crutchlow may have to take part in preliminary qualifying, with only two spots available for the final Q2. However, Crutchlow will be well aware of the fact that he won the last race in Australia from a similar position.

[Image: calcrutchlowsepang1.jpg]

#35 Cal Crutchlow – 13th (2’02.334)

“Obviously today we are very disappointed to be outside the top ten, when I’m sure we have the pace to be in the top three. We didn’t change the tyre this morning and I was unable to go faster in my last run, because we were trying something for Honda that we had agreed to try. We made a bit of a tactical error and this afternoon was then wet. I went out with the slick to see if I was able to push, but it didn’t dry up enough.”

“Now it also looks like tomorrow morning will be wet so it’s going to be difficult to go directly into Q2 – where we should be. Let’s see what tomorrow brings. We have to remain positive and go through the motions with the team tonight to improve things on the bike and then we will see how qualifying goes.”

28-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Website Find Reply