How many TT pitstops in the 50s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How many TT pitstops in the 50s?
How many pitstops (and at which laps?) the four-cylinder machines riders and the one-cylinder machines riders did in the Senior and Junior TT (7 laps)during the '50s?
30-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: How many TT pitstops in the 50s?
One stop on the third lap for fuel and a change of goggles and underpants was enough on the big singles if you had a five gallon tank.

I could easily do a six lap Senior/Classic race on the Crooks Suzuki 500 two stroke twin with one stop for fuel.
30-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, only one pitstop--------Only to refuel, no tyre changes, no helmet changes-----

Was it better in those days ?

I used to enjoy the RACING, pits stops have become part of race strategy....
Look at Formula One ! !!!!

It was the thirsty large capacity twostrokes that changed it I think !

30-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply, Tom. But was it a only one pit stop race also for the italian 4-cylinders machines (MV and Gilera)in the '50s? I think it wasn't. I think they sopped two times at the pits. How many gallons in their thanks??

30-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can't remember exactly but later the M.V with Gary Hocking, Mike and Ago only stopped once and Mikes big Honda 500/4 only stopped once.

THe Gileras of Read and John Hartle when they made a comeback under Scuderia Duke were one stoppers as well.

Some people did stop for a leak as well. When I passed some bloke holding Bob Heaths BSA outside the Highlander pub I asked him about it afterwards and he said he had gone to the Karsi.
30-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Arthur Wheeler rode the 1957 7-lap Senior TT non-stop on a 349 Guzzi.
Trevor Burgess lost a chance of a silver replica in the 1968 Junior TT when he had to make a p... stop after celebrating his 250 production win in the morning with toooo much liquid, of some sort or other!
30-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

And now they are complaining about races are lasting to long, what happened to stamina
30-01-2004, 09:27 PM