Whos doing Ramsay Hairpin??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whos doing Ramsay Hairpin??
I was talking to our own George McCann ( race commentator) earlier to night and had actually congratulated him on being back at Ramsay Hairpin for this years TT , But he just looked at me and ,,,; First i heard of it! --- With the TT only a few months away , If George is ( and i hope he is) to be asked to do this job , would nt someone need to get their skates on !!
18-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Whos doing Ramsay Hairpin??
Baylon I think Big D should be given a chance as he is as knowedgeable as anyone on roadracing.
18-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I must admit to being surprised to hear that, Baylon. As I understood it, George had definitely been confirmed as the Ramsey Hairpin commentator for TT2004, following Fred Clarke’s decision not to return to the TT. Maybe he has been, but nobody’s thought to tell him !
In my opinion George has made a good job of the Hairpin commentaries over recent years, if a little biased towards the Irish riders (and why not!). Hopefully he’ll be there again this year.

18-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fred Clarke has decided not to return to the TT?
Is that permanent, or just the years when theres a clash with the British Superbike Championship?
18-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what i gather, Fred Clarke told bsb spectators at Oulton Park last Year that he would not be going back to IOM, this was before the Date clash with Thruxton .Re the understanding of George doing Ramsay Harpin this year , i was under the same understanding , until Geoge told me last night that it was news to him!!, he has had no contact with race organizers whatsoever !, up until last night that is!.Surely , if they are to get their commentators sorted , they would need to be doing so pretty soon , as these guys could well have other plans made in the meantime!.
18-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Fred Clarke's been close to calling it a day at the TT for a few years now, having lost many good friends over the years. I actually overheard him talking to Geoff Cannell behind the Grandstand in 1999 and saying that he wouldn't be back after the death of Simon Beck that year. He eventually changed his mind about that, but I suspect that the death of DJ last year finally made up his mind not to return to the TT.
Fred's style of commentary is not everybody's cup of tea, but he is a colourful character with a genuine deep love of bike racing. I must admit I'll miss him.
Over to you Larry Devlin.....!!
18-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing to add, David - it's all been said!

As Baylon says, and I was talking to George as well last night, nobody's said anything to him.

But then, I understand that Manx Radio is in a state of flux at present, with a lot of the chiefs retiring?
19-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tommy Robb did a good job years ago.
19-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ballacraine that was - 1984?
19-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

OOPS!!!!

Either 1974 or 1975!!!!

Definitely NOT 1985.
19-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Late 70's I think. I didn't go till 77 so it was then or later. Yes Ballacraine I think.
20-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not have a good memory for the exact year , but i can recall Tommy commentating at Ballacraine , i was at Braddan Bridge ( saw Ray Knight slide off uninjured), and Percy Tait was leading on the tz 700 yam , it had started to rain , and with the big 700 machines being a little more thirsty than the 350 / 352 yamahas , our own The Late Billy Guthrie took the lead ,and Tommys comment was ; If Guthrie wins this race , the pubs will be full of irishmen to-night! , then after a pause, Come to think of it , whether he wins or not , The pubs will Still be full of irishmen to night!!.Tommy was indeed a good commentator , always able to add a little humour to the conversation.
20-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It doesn't really translate to a posting on the board, but I can just hear him saying "This is Tommy Robb at Ballacraine...."
He's a really lovely man, and still so full of stories.
20-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know lots of people slag off Cannell et al, but there is a definite art to it and some people are just naturals, like Tommy Rob.
21-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fair do's - Geoff Cannell was good at Ballaugh.
21-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think he is very good ( a lot don't). I watched him commentate the Billown races with nothing more than a list of riders in his hand. He knows his stuff.
22-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good to see variuos comments about other commentators , But WHO is doing Ramsay Hairpin this year , that was the debating topic!!! , Anyone any idea?.
22-02-2004, 06:21 PM