Mr. Cretney
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mr. Cretney
Has anyone responded to his request for feedback on his latest consultation document?
23-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: RESPONSES
It needs a few readings to see all the options..
And there are some very interesting options !

It cannot be hurried..so for heavens take time to digest all the possibilities..

Question is, will they really listen to the feedback---?? I think it is all decided in advance.
23-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think everyone should have an opinion and put it in to them.
They did ask so we cannot complain if we don't expresss our opinion.
Indeed we all have preconceived ideas, but if the weight of responses
is overwhelming (say on the number of laps issue)then our contribution
would have been worthwhile.
After all everyone wanted the ACU out and they were given their marching orders.
Don't give up now.
23-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was only asking for Gods sake.
I don't know if they will take notice or not, but if people don't bother to make their thoughts known then nothing will happen.
I will respond as a spectator and marshal as I am not in a position to speak for the riders who must make their own response.
23-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can also only respond as a spectator and I will do! They should know what I as a spectator think. But first I must read it and understand it all ( I'm German). SO I need a little bit time for my answer.
Michael
23-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes Michael, you have the right to express your opinion as spectator - and I'm a not british spectator like you, I'm italian - but I think that Ian is right: all is decided in adavance. In fact: CAN do they listen to the spectators? In that document there are some options that include the 125/400 classes, some other options that don't include them. And this says all. If I'm a spectator and I love to see the 125cc, but there is a progressive lack of entries in the 125cc class, how can the organisers listen to me??
24-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marco, if you don't say ANYTHING then they will think that you don't care and they will definitely not change their minds.
If you make your feelings known, then at least there is a chance that they will take notice.

24-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK Billy, I will make my ideas known hic et nunc: 6 laps for each solo race, but 7 laps for the blue-riband Senior TT race, and early morning practices for all classes. :-))

I'm jocking of course. I will make know my opinion to them, as I did the past time. I think that the 6 lap races (or race) must be preserved. But I know too much well the contradictions of our era (tradition vs economical and commercial development) to have illusions.
24-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

All we can do is try Marco.

24-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: RESPONSE-THE COURSE
Nobody has suggested the strategic positioning of chicanes at places on the course !!!!!!!

No, joking apart, but think about this aspect....
.........They have been slicing bits off the corners for years, making the COURSE faster and faster, pretending its the bike developments..(?)

I am serious about this, having had some time recently to compare the TT course by pictures and video over periods of five years, and seeing from my research just how much has been done to the course. Of course it is not good to have riders suffering from double vision on sustained bumpy roads sections so they flatten out the bumps, but why take the character away from the bends that were bends and leave only slight, very fast curves.

Has it really been sensible and forward-looking to make a road circuit progressively blander over the years making it faster and therefore more dangerous ?

Do lap records mean anything anymore, if pieces of transverse roadway are chopped to make the circuit faster.

I certainly hope I am wrong but it makes me think.

Your thoughts please...........Especially the riders views.....
24-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good lateral thinking Ian. However, at the end of the day, the essence of the TT is to provide racing on Public Roads using bikes close to what we can buy, so we cannot restrict the progress of road "improvements".
Anyway, I dont think that the modern bikes or today's riders would want to cope with the dirt roads of 1907.
I feel sure that the IOM govt. always considers the effect of any road improvements and changes to the road system will have on the TT and MGP.
As far as I can tell, going back and looking at old maps, the IOM has always been proud to have the "TT Course" prominently marked out.
Ian, your valued comments may draw out the safety issues again, not specifically part of the "Consultation".
I would still like to see better shielding of trees, posts and other solid structures that can cause nasty, sudden stops. Straw bales are not enough!
How about moving the dates back a bit for the future, as an attempt to enjoy better weather?
25-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didn't they put in a chicane at the NW200 a few years back that caused more problems than it solved?
Where would you put them?
If you had 5, 10, even 20 chicanes there would still be places where they would be travelling at 150 - 200 mph.
After a crash at the Nook someone suggested that they take out the hedge and put in a gravel trap. The counter argument was that you would be turning it into a 37 mile short circuit, and where would you stop? It wouldn't be practicable over the whole course.
There do though seem to be accident black spots. I presume that the organisers know of this and assess the situation to reduce the consequences of any spills.
Anyway the TT is ridden on public roads, and as such they have to be maintained firstly for the benefit of the IOM residents.
As a consequence of changes lap time might not bear direct comparison to those of years ago.
But I don't think that matters, all you can compare things to is the riders performance over the past few years.
As for straw bales I think that is a financial thing, how much would it cost to put air bags all round the course? That's unfortunate but a fact of life.
Putting in chicanes would probably not have much effect on newcomers, but experienced riders would need to learn the course all over again. It would not just affect the corner where the chicane was but their line and speed into the next corner and the one after that etc etc.
I would be interested to know which locations on the course you were thinking about.
25-02-2004, 09:59 AM