Geoff Cannell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geoff Cannell
It's reported on <A HREF="http://www.realroadracing.com">www.realroadracing.com</A> today that Geoff Cannell has been dropped from the commentary team for this year's TT - no further details were given.

I must say that I'm very surprised indeed - and very disappointed. There may have been a few criticisms over the last couple of years of Geoff's performance as Press Officer, but as a commentator I think he's absolutely first-rate. He has been a professional broadcaster for much of his working life and he has a lifetime of TT knowledge. Since the sad passing of Peter Kneale, there has only been Geoff who has both these essential qualities to do the 'anchor-man' commentary role.

Unless Geoff has taken this decision himself, I feel that someone has made a grave error of judgement here, and Geoff's absence will severely weaken the commentary team. TT commentaries could never be the same without Peter Kneale, but without Geoff Cannell as well - unthinkable !
03-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Geoff Cannell
From what I heard on the ground in the Island there were a lot of toes stood on by Geoff or his office.
Many people with long standing associations with the TT were treated badly it seems.
Prehaps he snubbed too many and it came back to bite him.
It is a terrible shame from the comentatary side though.
03-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

If what you post is true about Geoff its sad?
04-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

If its not his decision then it's not sad it's a disgrace.
As a spectator I don't give a flying thingy about the politics. All I need is a commentator who knows what he is talking about, and as far as the TT goes know one knows more than Mr. Cannel.
04-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

From <A HREF="http://www.manxradio.com">www.manxradio.com</A> :-

TT ANCHORMAN HITS OUT AT MANX RADIO

Radio TT anchorman Geoff Cannell is hitting out at Manx Radio, claiming he has been sacked from the role for the 2004 meeting.

Management at the station are highlighting a conflict of interest between Mr Cannell being part of the commentary team, and acting as the Department of Tourism's Chief Press Officer for the event.

Mr Cannell admits there is a potential problem in undertaking the dual roles.

However, he says Manx Radio has not entered into discussions about solving the situation, and has treated him shoddily.

04-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

A mate if mine on the IOM tells me this story is true because it was on Manx Radio this morning,to me i think its a disgrace.
04-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

From Manx Radio's site:
"Radio TT anchorman Geoff Cannell is hitting out at Manx Radio, claiming he has been sacked from the role for the 2004 meeting.

Management at the station are highlighting a conflict of interest between Mr Cannell being part of the commentary team, and acting as the Department of Tourism's Chief Press Officer for the event.

Mr Cannell admits there is a potential problem in undertaking the dual roles.

However, he says Manx Radio has not entered into discussions about solving the situation, and has treated him shoddily."

I heard an interview with the MD of Manx Radio this morning and his side of the story was certainly less sensational.

Basically, Geoff was being "stood down" as anchor man as he could not do two jobs 100% simultaneously. He did say that he was still hoping to negotiate a different role for Geoff, and it was unfortunate that discussions had gone public.

I don't "smell a rat" here, and I'm considered pretty sceptical.
04-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Manx Radio, again:
"Manx Radio MD responds
Manx Radio's Managing Director, Anthony Pugh, has confirmed he telephoned and wrote to Mr Cannell to open negotiations about his continued involvement in Radio TT.

He says Mr Cannell has been offered a significant part in this year's coverage, but not as the commentator in the tower at the TT Grandstand.

Mr Pugh says Manx Radio's anchorman must be free from other obligations."

04-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry David,
It looks like I'm your echo this morning....this morning...this morning.
04-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geoff Cannell sacked sad but true, But the TT has to move with the times. Peter Kneale was going to be a very hard act to follow as it turned out he was. Having been a spectator from the early sixtys and then a rider myself from the mid eightys to date. I think Geoff had time for those riders that were at the very top if a rider like myself tryed to get a word in edgeways he would just blank you as he did with me on a few occasions that I can remember. I think the TT needs a new face maybe a bit younger that can grow with the TTs Future. At last years TT I was interviewed by Crish Kinley on a few race days when racing was delayed and I think he had a certin flair about him not just the fact that I got an interview I might add but I think He was enjoying what he was doing and seem to ask questions that the fans might like to hear answered. Another thing I missed from the last few TT was a comprehensive result book as we used to get when Peter Kneale was Press Officer and with transponders I think it would have made that job a lot easier. Geoff all the best for the Future no doubt we will see you in the press office and around the Paddock......Irish Ago....
04-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cannot comment on the man himself because in over 30 years at the T.T, including 21 years as a rider and a sponsor I never met or spoke to the man and would have difficulty putting a face to the voice so I would not know him from Adam, but like Peter Kneale he was a brilliant commentator with an in depth knowledge that will be hard to match and very diffcult to replace.

04-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Put G CANNEL back in pit lane,and FRED CLARKE in tower.Winning combination.
04-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geoff had a very hard time last year, taking on two jobs and actually doing them both PROPERLY in difficult circumstances......Yes he did have to weed out, cajole, get up a few noses etc, but in hindsight it appears that it was somewhat necessary and most of us can see why..

However it is a very sad day to hear that Geoff will not be commentating this year, but I DO look forward to Chris Kinley moving up the ranks, if move up he will, for he was excellent.

But who else can yack on air for a long time and make it interesting and informative as anchor man ??

You cannot beat EXPERIENCE and Geoff certainly has that and is most necessary to each event, six laps or four !

So who, for heavens sake, is now doing the main commentary up in Kneales Tower then ???

TT2004 is throwing us lots of wobblers isn't it !!

It is not right that SO many new brooms are sweeping clean (if you know what I mean), I think a gradual change if change is needed should have been considered. It is time to rename this Isle of Man event for "TT" it aint any more!

If I ever wanted to start a petition now is the time and I hope you all agree.

BRING BACK GEOFF CANNELL--NOW !!!!!!
04-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

No one would challenge his knowledge and flair but to my mind he could also be condescending and selective, almost to the point of being slightly rude. Am I alone in this?
05-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like Ago and Ian I would like to see/hear more of Chris Kinley. An excellent, well-informed, all round sports commentator, who finds all riders interesting whether their final placing is likely to be first or last...he's the sort of guy who will build up the unbiased, thoughtful information that makes him an authoratative predictor of winners, and who will find and build on the "characters" of the TT too. Oops...begining to sound like a fan!
05-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The TT results book we put out last year was, I admit, a rather hurried affair to get it out by Manx GP time; we had just a week to get it sorted. I hope to make a better job of TT 2004 results book, with split-lap-times (if available) and pictures. If I can make it somethink like P.K. would have produced, I will be very happy.
06-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Results book
Bill, if the transponders are set up properly by who ever is in charge of them, you should be able to get every piece of info and more ! that you are looking for, ie race positions,lap times , sector times etc no problem.
cheers,
Stella
06-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geoff Cannell He got the IOMSPCo to cough up for damaging my bike on the ferry and hiding the fact! This year TT is changing and not for the better
06-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that things do need to change to progress in all walks of life, however in the case of Manx radio and Geoff Cannell, I feel that Manx Radio have made a huge mistake.
The reasons are simple, he is the only other commentator with any idea about the TT, no disrepect to the others but they can generally only tell you what the latest top rider is doing at the latest Irish/BSB round.
One other person mentioned what happened to F1 cars when Murray retired and how it still goes on, but what actually happened in the case of F1 cars was that over a 4 or 5 year period we were gradually introduced to Martin Brundle who like Geoff started in the pit lane then slowly was put into the main box with Murray Walker, hence when MW retired Martin Brundle knew what to do, how to do it and the spectators all knew and recognised his voice. When sadly Peter Kneale, in fact from a commentators point of view, the late great Peter Kneale, passed away the other year Geoff was the obvious choice because like Martin Brundle we all knew him and generally he knew what he was talking about, but as for replacement s here God only knows, just hope its not Charlie stuck in the seventies Williams!!
Bring back Geoff!!!!!!!
Russ
ps Ago mentions Chris Kinley , Chris did a brilliant job doing Geoffs old job, i the pits and pre race o the rid, but Anchor man is something that needs years of knowledge.

07-03-2004, 08:09 PM