Denis Parkinson
Anonymous
Unregistered

Denis Parkinson
I am sorry to have to announce the passing, this morning, of multiple Manx Grand Prix winner Denis Parkinson................

His involvement with the early days of telephone results at the TT must also be remembered.

Further details to follow.........
16-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Denis Parkinson
How sad. The end of an era. Denis Parkinson raced in so many places, over such a long career. An irreplaceable man. My condolences to his family and friends.
16-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

16-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dennis wrote a short piece on the Manx which you can read on:
<A HREF="http://www.simonashton.force9.co.uk/denis.htm">http://www.simonashton.force9.co.uk/denis.htm</A>
There is a wonderful photo of him in Ramsey square on his
Norton in the 1950 Senior TT,on page 15 of the 2003 TT Programme.
It is a study of determination and style.
17-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Denis was one of the first people to interview us when we rode in our first TT in 1978.He was one of the few who got his facts correct,unlike the rest of the sensation seeking media.A really genuine person.He will be missed
17-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess we have all come to dread seeing a name as a header in here, because it usually heralds their demise. I will always think of Denis as the original "character" in our great sport. I never saw him race nor saw him in the flesh, but he was a constant, always involved in something.
Rest in peace.

There is an added sad connection with my current employer.

Mike Vickers
Britax Excelsior Ltd
17-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have just been going through some old video tapes taken by me at the TT and have come across, in sound, a short section when I was helping Denis in the OLD grandstand when he was reporting for the telephones, the camera being set up on a tripod to video both of us "at work"....I was correlating the slips of paper sent to Denis telling him of riders positions etc....so that his reports were up to date.

I must admit to being a bit emotional since seeing this again...

Denis actually phoned my Dad during the video who he hadn't seen in a while and my Dad was over the moon to chat again..my Dad died in 1995...

Such lovely memories and Denis was such a lovely man with an innocent face, but with lots of stories to tell...

God bless you Denis, another part of my TT life has gone........................

I hope you all share in my grief.

17-03-2004, 12:47 PM