Tech3 duo primed for round six battle tomorrow in the Tuscan hills
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Tech3 duo primed for round six battle tomorrow in the Tuscan hills
[Image: tech3blackhdr.jpg]

Johann Zarco will begin the Italian Grand Prix from the fourth row of the grid after delivering a spirited performance in the challenging qualifying campaign today. After topping FP4, the French star coolly waited until the final six minutes of Q1 before taking to the track. He then set a superb lap, which saw him clinch 1st and able to progress through to Qualifying 2. Here, he continued pushing and eventually finished with a time that was just 0.269 back from the second row.

Meanwhile, Jonas Folger will surge forward from 15th on the grid. The young German got straight to work in Q1 but his promising charge was unfortunately cut short after a fall in the final moments at turn 11. Nevertheless, he sustained no injuries and his confident performances so far this weekend leave him fully fired up for the race.

[Image: zarcoatmugellosat.jpg]

Johann ZARCO - Position 11th - Time: 1'47.319 - Laps: 6

"It was the best decision to wait in Q1 and then push in the last moments. However, when you give all of your energy to set a good time, it’s difficult to give the same amount in the second session without risking everything. I made it through to Q2, yet there, the other riders had a lot of grip with the new tyres and they could take advantage of this for a single lap, but I have not quite able to do that so far this weekend. I did my best but I didn’t want to crash so eventually I finished 11th. It was a  bit of a tough Saturday overall, and in the morning all the riders got a better feeling, yet, I began to struggle a little bit, which meant that I lost out on Q2. Anyway, I am very happy about my performance in FP4 because riding with the soft tyres was ok, but when we ran with the harder compound there was an improvement. There are some positive points when the tyres become worn so this can be my advantage tomorrow. When I start from 11th, I need to keep calm, but from the midpoint of the race I can make a difference and I am confident."

Jonas FOLGER - Position 15th - Time: 1'47.305 - Laps: 5

"Although I will start the GP from further back than where I would like, I’m certain that we can still do a good job tomorrow. FP4 went positively and we found the confidence that we needed for the qualifying and then, at the beginning of Q1, I felt comfortable and I completed two solid laps. Just after this, I returned to the pit box to change the tyres and I decided to keep the same front. In the end, I pushed really hard but at the 11th corner, at the exit of the chicane, I lost the front. We have to analyse why this happened, yet I didn’t hurt myself and my final lap time was ok. I’m sure that I could have improved but when you get close to the limit, sometimes these things happen. We still have to decide on which tyre we will use for tomorrow’s race, but nevertheless, I am looking forward to the fight."

03-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Website Find Reply