Fantastic Folger qualifies as top Yamaha at Home GP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Fantastic Folger qualifies as top Yamaha at Home GP
[Image: tech3blackhdr.jpg]

Jonas Folger produced a superb display today to clinch his best qualifying result in the premier class as he delighted his home crowd. The young gun kicked off the day by storming to 3rd in the dry morning practice session and then showed his speed in the wet by finishing FP4 in 4th. He launched into action when Q2 commenced and built up his pace before powering across the finish line to impressively seize 5th position on the grid for tomorrow’s highly anticipated race.

Meanwhile, Johann Zarco will begin the German Grand Prix from the 7th row after a challenging qualifying campaign today. The French star endured an eventful FP3 session, whereby he fell at the high-speed 11th turn in the closing stages of the practice. He raced back to the pits and heroically jumped on his second bike, but time ran out and he finished 17th. The rookie got straight to work in the ultra-competitive QP1 shootout as the rain lashed down before he eventually qualified in 19th. Nevertheless, he still determinedly eyes up the race, which begins at 14:00 local time.

[Image: folgergermany.jpg]
Jonas  Folger

Jonas Folger - Position: 5th - Time: 1'28.210 - Laps: 10

“I’m delighted about my qualifying position for tomorrow, but the situation was very tough due to the weather and it was similar to Assen. Anyway, we did a really good job in both the dry and the wet conditions and FP3 went well, so as a result, I went straight through to QP2. There, I was able to ride a solid lap time behind Marc Marquez and I felt confident in a lot of corners. We have done everything right so far and I am really looking forward to tomorrow where I am sure I will have a great time at my home Grand Prix.”

Johann Zarco - Position: 19 th - Time: 1'28.444 - Laps: 9

“We did not expect today’s result at Sachsenring and we wouldn’t at any race. 19th is far back and not what we want when I said that I could be on the podium and fighting for a good position. My feeling was quite good, but this track is difficult, everyone is so close with the lap times and the other riders were able to be really fast with the new tyres. Anyway, I am happy about the race pace that we were working on, but it’s a shame that I crashed this morning because I know that I was able to improve, but turn 11 is a corner that can catch everyone out. Getting into Q2 is what makes the biggest difference, yet I was not so lucky and a lot of things didn’t go our way today. However, for my first season in the premier class, I need to experience these kind of situations in order to learn so that I can be stronger in the future.”

01-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Website Find Reply