Bad news for bikers at this years TT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bad news for bikers at this years TT
The Islands new speed limits are set to be in place within the next three weeks. An all Island speed limit of 60mph. So if your comeing to the TT bring your mopeds.
26-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bad news for bikers at this years TT
If this is true, it's a waste of time me bringing my bike over.
I might as well fly over and use public transport.
Hang on,if I did that I'd be saving money AND I could have a pint or three whilst the newly shortened races are on.
It is incredible how in such a short period of time I'm running out of reasons to make the not inconsiderable effort to go to the Isle of Man.
26-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agree,been going 47 yrs ,not realy looking forward to it ,by now normally chompin on the bit.
26-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

THAT'S why they've shortened the main races.....
so they can gain some money to businesses......
beer.......food....transport etc ??

WoT even 60mph on the mountain..........oh well
best get the H100 out........
26-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Methinks that somebody is " 'avin a giraffe!"

Its not April 1st, is it?
If there really is a blanket speed limt of 60, then its clear that we are not wanted there any more.

Nah! I will believe it when I see it.
...and if it IS true, then this really will be my last visit. I cant afford it, anyway!

Mike
27-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having read the article on IOM Online, the cries of doom seem a little previous.
We are talking "the announcement of proposals"
Lets wait and see.

Mike
27-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The loss of morning pratice and the shortening of the races is due to POLICE manning and nothing else.
27-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

What my small brain cannot understand is how 40 minutes is so important in a two-week festival of speed.
I never really believed that they were serious enough about truncating the greatest road race in history to 4 laps.
From everyone who has commented on this board and elsewhere there is total disagreement.
How then can they continue along this path?
Nick Jefferies was going to come back to us as to the TT riders forum's opinion.
I asked him if he would let us know if they put up a strong case for 6 laps, but he must be otherwise engaged,
as I have not seen anything so far.
We are all busy I suppose.
Like most other enthusiasts I feel cheated, we really expected better from the Manx Club.
The police angle is an interesting one, I wonder if there is anyone in the police who reads this board
who could tell us if they are anti TT or not?

27-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's a very long process to convert a 'move' or a 'proposal' into law, especially controversial issues like this one. I think it is inevitable that an all-island speed limit will be introduced eventually, but I don't think it will be for quite a few years yet.
27-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're a bad news kind of a guy. This "threat" has been fortold by various sour-mouths since God knows when.

Do you want visitors to come? If so, then encourage them!
27-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Manx Radio News at 22:00 Say this speed limit will not become law before this years TT.
So we can all get our heads down as usual going over the mountain.
27-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thought as much....

Just one thing though.
It would be good if we could all enjoy this freedom without abusing it.
Lets slow down in 30 limit areas and anywhere else appropriate.
If we behave like children, they will put us in playpens....

Mike
28-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well said, Mike. I can't be bothered with the idea that its OK for us to go over to the Isle of Man and behave in ways we would not get away with at home.
Some very dear friends of mine went to the Isle of Man for near enough 40 years, until a "biker" rammed his bike under their van at an obscene speed, on a corner, wrong side of the road, killing himself, injuring them and unleashing a torrent of abuse from other "bikers" who blamed the "car driver". They have never been back, and have never recovered from the horror, and from the dreadful way they were treated by the very people they thought they belonged among.
There...that's got that off my chest. Now, about the TT.... can't wait to get there and see real motorcyclists and real racers!See you there, Mike
28-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Misterperkins,
I COULD NOT GIVE A DAM IF ANOTHER TOURIST CAME TO THE IOM, THE TT IS NOT THE TT ANYMORE, ITS A CLUBMANS. WHAT I AM GETTING AT IS, WHY DONT THE TOURIST BOARD COME CLEAN AND TELL THE TRUTH. THE IOM HAS BEEN RIPPING OFF THE TOURIST FOR MANY YEARS AND DERSERVES TO BE GIVEN A LESSON. WHY WAIST YOUR MONEY OVER HERE WHEN YOU CAN GO TO THE NW 200 AT HALF THE COST, BETTER DIGS FARE PRICES AND A GOOD WEEKS ENTERTAINMENT.
28-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear me colin , we do seem to have quite an attitude problem dont we.
28-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

28-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My mistake. I had the idea you were involved in racing or sponsorship or something.
28-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

60mph limit? If only!
The limit is 20kph and all riders have to wear 3 reflective Sam Browne harnesses- even the streakers.
28-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really have to agree with Mr Moore on this one the TT was brilliant but now with due repect to the riders its a gloryfied MGP, after the TT the ferry fares are slashed dramaticly.
29-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps if road safety and max speeds/ stopping distances are such a major issue then perhaps the Department responsible should act and find more money to spend on improving many of IOM's terrible road surfaces -some roads are a so bumpy that they are hazards in there own right more so for bikers!
04-05-2004, 11:18 PM