All change for TT TV deal
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
RE: All change for TT TV deal
I think televising the TT presents many issues and challenges.

The programs have to have a wide ranging appeal, but with a priority of where the advertising money is coming from!

The dedicated TT fan (as I suspect most of us on here are) may want more in depth coverage of the event and riders (as I do), but we are probably in the minority.

For many viewers, I suspect it's a once a year event they like to watch on TV and want to see the thrills/spills/glamour etc. In addition, celebrity culture has a major influence on many viewers & potential viewers.

As we know, the weather can play a major part in the scheduling of races, which makes it more difficult to strike the right balance of what to show.

The circuit's length, that the TT is a time trial rather than a first to the chequered flag race, makes it more difficult to televise and for the non TT fan to grasp what is happening in a race.

As others have stated, knowledgeable TT people are not always the best at presenting or commentating, given that the program has to be compressed (a 2 hour race into half an hour) it is very different from live commentary. Although it may be that improved commentary could be added after the event?

The images shown are amazing, compared to what was possible only a few years ago. The presentation and commentary have improved (whilst I like Mike Brewer on Wheeler Dealers, I wasn't a fan of his TT presenting) but I think there is still room for improvement.

I would also like to see more detailed graphics on race positions at the end of each lap (not just the top 6), improved commentary that isn't so repetitive, less "jokey blokey" presentation and more of me on my unicycle (I only knew about it when others told me they'd seen me!)

I would also request that Manx radio review their presentation. There is one race commentator that, in my opinion, should have some airtime previewing & reviewing races, with a few stories from way back thrown in for good measure, but I would prefer that he doesn't commentate on the actual race.

That's my 10 pence worth!
(This post was last modified: 27-02-2018, 12:54 PM by Nasher.)
27-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
All change for TT TV deal - by Malcolm - 16-01-2018, 01:05 PM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by Malcolm - 17-01-2018, 01:35 PM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by Malcolm - 26-02-2018, 12:37 PM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by bsa499 - 26-02-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by Alfie Noakes - 26-02-2018, 08:47 PM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by warrior - 27-02-2018, 12:29 AM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by Nasher - 27-02-2018, 12:52 PM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by scaramanga - 27-02-2018, 11:21 PM
RE: All change for TT TV deal - by Rednine - 28-02-2018, 12:02 PM