Possible TT Problems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Possible TT Problems
This years TT could be in trouble. Lack of marshals could mean that we may not have a TT.
This is not a 'pee' take but a true fact. This weekend we had two of the Rally stages stoped due to lack of marshals by the Health & Safety Com
09-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Possible TT Problems
It's good news to hear that they're taking marshalling seriously, anyway.
09-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

And exactly what does it take (type of training) to marshall for the TT? Seems like it would be honorable enough work to me. As long as the perks were decent...........food, restroom, two way radio and be able to use my camera.
09-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You don't need any training to be a marshal, just a good head on your shoulders and do what the sector marshal tells you to.

You and anyone can sign on for it at the race office (I think, certainly somewhere at the grandstand) or

I did it several years ago during the MGP at Glen Moar, before I raced there, its good fun, has the best vantage spots and is good to put something back into the sport.

Cheers

Carolynn
09-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Part of that went missing!!

it meant to say... or, contact the TT Marshalls Association and they will help you.

P.s I don't think you will be able to use your camera as you should be watching what is going on and ready to react... that's if that was a serious question??!

Cheers

Carolynn
09-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is true that there will be a close watch to ensure full marshal cover on all sectors for all practices and races. However, with no morning practices except in emergency, it should now be easier to provide cover than previously.

TT/Manx Marshals are, in the main, a dedicated band of men and women that give their time every year to provide what help and support they can to enable this great tradition to take place as safely as possible for riders and spectators.

Besides those from the organising motor-clubs there is not the same regular body of marshalling support for the rallies. The Manx National Rally on Friday and Saturday might not have encountered such problems with a lack of marshals had they
1. limited the massive entry field (about 140 cars) and
2. somehow restricted the number of stages/stage miles that were having to be run and manned concurrently.
or 3. had more of those that went out to spectate at the event bother to sign up to marshal (myself included!).

Readers of this board may not be aware of the great tradition that the Island has of producing top rally drivers, including current World Production Rally Champion, Martin Rowe, whose father, Chris is well-known to many of you as a scrutineer.

09-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Isle of Man TT Marshals Association are holding an Open Day in the Hospitality Suite at the TT Grandstand next Saturday, 15th May between 10am and 4:30pm where we hope to attract additional marshals for thsi years TT.

We will be showing our marshaling laptop presentation at various times throughout the day in the Hospitality Suite.

There will be a First Aid refresher and a demonstration of the flags, including the new flags for 2004.

If you have ever wanted to marshal, but have been unsure how to become involved, then this is an ideal opportunity to find out what is involved. Remember, you do not have to attend every session to be a TT or MGP marshal.

Rising local star, Connor Cummins will be in attendance together with one of his machines.

Both the Andreas Racing Association and the Southern 100 Club will be in attendance throughout the day, and we will also have a display of racing machinery, both solo and sidecar.

09-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be happy to be a marshal if my fare could be paid to the course.
Another problem for me would be trying to learn how to get into one of
those marshals vests and remembering what all those coloured flags are for.
For example, what colour is the "Marsupial on the Course" flag? Well, I suppose
I could always help out at Gorse Lea and just copy what that tall chap does.
Also, how long before I get a white coat and an "M" plate for my motorcycle?

Seriously though - without the marshals there simply is no TT
and all of us appreciate their labour of love.
10-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quite right. Sector marshals have to supply a duty rota to the Clerk of the course. If he thinks there is not enough cover he can cancel a session.
10-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Volunteer !
I will volunteer for as many practice week sessions as I can. I have already committed to help out on the JDIRF stand race week, so I may not be so available then, but there will probably be more people keen to do it in race week anyway.
Come on, enthusiasts. Your TT needs you!
10-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well done Helen!

We can discount Simons as he'll have a platypus on the barby in Brisbane. He only comes across for the nostalgia bikes of his era (1930's) at the Manx Classic.
10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry but I would fail the Physical. Awaiting surgery on both ankles on 22 June. Now next year.......!
10-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cometh the hour ,cometh the marshals,nothing new,same story every year.We get by.
10-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first time I mashaled was at the steam packet races, the roads closed car had passed and one of the ropes had not been fixed in front of a road, as I took it on myself to secure it a sector marshal came running up to me, thanked me, gave me the armband and got me to sign the sheet and gave me some brief instruction, great days racing and a fantastic vantage point only accesable to the marshals. I think most fans need to realised you dont need to have done it before...and you will enjoy it.....go on you know you want to!!!!
10-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm, so Don aspires to a white coat John. Got his sights set a bit high for a Colonial, eh. But, yes, bless the marshals. No meeting would proceed anywhere without their dedication.
10-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Head in sand
That's the sort of attitude that causes the problem.
And NO, it's not the same old story.
Judging by Neil Hanson's past performances it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if practice sessions are called off.
11-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spot on Jan, I really fancy myself in one of those white coats with a clipboard.
I could really throw my weight around with some of those Irish come-overs.
And teach them how to cook up some decent tucker.
Wonder if I would be allowed to wear my red shirt though?
11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was told off a few years ago for wearing my Mez Mellor yellow t shirt, the marshal said it could be mistaken for a yellow flag, guess what i was marshaling but those days they didnt supply the amber waistcoats.
11-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yellow!

This reminds me that some years ago, I was on the bank at Rhencullen, wearing a Castrol jacket which was bright yellow. A marshall asked to borrow it briefly..... Dont remember why, but he went off toward the cottage that sticks out (Rhenculln 3?)

Mike
12-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

This year at r cullen,a grandstand,no watching from bank.
12-05-2004, 02:36 PM