Memphis Belle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Memphis Belle
While this is not TT related, it has been a project of mine for some time and has been a great interest almost as long as the TT
The final 25th mission of the B-17 Memphis Belle was May 17th 1943.

The real Commander of that mission Captain Morgan, died this morning after a fall....
He was 85.

I know a number of TT fans who also are interested in aviation so this is for you.
16-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Memphis Belle
Thanks Ian.

Yes, I am one of those TT fans with an interest in aviation.
Its to do with me dad having been in the Royal Flying Corps, then the Royal Auxiliary Air Force.

The two go together, somehow!

Each year, I find timwe to visit the cemetery "up norf" in the Island, where a whole Commonwealth bomber crew are buried (amiongst others)

Dont get me started on dad and "planes." I cxan be even MORE boring than about the TT!

One other connection, dad worked for Thos Cook and was a founder member of the Royal Singapore Flying Club. In the 20s, as well as flying, he raced a Norton on public roads(dirt tracks?) until he had a serious accident. (Like father, like son?)

Mike
17-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Robert Morgan lived an amazing life.
After flying B17 over Europe he went on to fly B29's in the Pacific war.
Some people are just survivors.
RIP Robert Morgan

" We have a voice, with which to pay the debt
Of boundless love and reverence and regret
To those great men who fought, and kept it ours."

Alfred Tennyson
17-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another story of motorcycle racers and planes is that of 1936 World Speedway Champion, Lionel Van Praag, who had a passion for flying right up to his older years. Flew Mustangs for the Americans, was shot down in the Sumba Straights during WW2 by a Zero whilst in a DC2 (I could be wrong with these names) and was awarded the George Medal for bravery after saving his pilot and crew. After he retired from racing he crashed his crop duster on telegraph wires and survived okay. Bike lovers and plane lovers seem to go hand in hand quite often.
17-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian,
Have you read "Under An English Heaven" by Robert Radcliffe, published by Abacus 2003? It is as accurate a piece of fiction on your chosen subject as you'll find - and an excellent read. I'll send you my copy if you wish. Just send your address.
Has anyone else on this board read it and, if so, what did you think of it?
John
17-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ditto, a consuming interest in all things flying, past and present...............

Prestwick airport had more than its fair share of tragedy resulting from tired USAF, RAF and commonwealth ferry crews pranging on murky landfalls, out to sea, or in the hinterland.......some lonely Ayrshire moors still hold poor young men and women of this unsung service; they ferried B17s and many other types to keep the war effort supplied.

Captain Morgan exemplified the courage and tenacity which kept us all free; RIP good sir. Thank You for all you and your comrades did for us here in Europe and beyond.
17-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sad to hear of the demise of captain Morgan.

Anyone with an interest in historic aviation who attended the NW 200 would have delighted in the display before the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. A spitfire, Lancaster & Hurricane gave a really terrific display over Portrush looked like they were'nt holding back & were really enjoying themselves chucking the machines around the sky!!!

Just superb !
18-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was mesmerised...only thing missing for me was a Dak!
18-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Battle of Britain Flight refuelled at Ronaldsway on Saturday morning, en route to the NW200...........validating this thread on this site.
18-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a few feet of video somewhere taken whilst they were filming some of the action scenes for the film almost over my bungalow fairly close to the Snetterton circuit, the firing could be heard quite clearly. You're welcome to a copy when i dig it out, not much there but interesting.
18-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Hawk trainer which preceded them in the flypast, took 9 minutes to get there from the mainland...Euromanx please copy....no, on second thoughts, don't... I enjoy every moment of the flight!
18-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you know that as John Foster stood with his nose pressed to the chain wire
fence of Ronaldsway airport grasping his plane-spotters manual and peering into the fog,
the same sun was trying to shine on him that was trying to shine on the NW200 course?
19-05-2004, 02:14 AM