SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Anonymous
Unregistered

SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Has anyone got a map of the Mannin Moar and Mannin Beg circuit which used the Prom, Bray Hill, Glencrutchery Road, Onchan and the Drop down past Summerhill Glen...It is Seventy years ago that this race circuit was used...for cars....In the month of May which must have been just before the TT.

However a number of famous TT riders participated, Wal Handley, Freddie Dixon and Charlie Dobson were three of them !

Has anybody got any info please..I have a book by Barre Lyndon who tells the story well, with pictures but I need to see a map.

I believe York Road was also used...

Thank you....I am going to video the circuit for my files..
24-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: SEVENTY YEARS AGO
There is a plaque, I think its in York Road, marking the start/finish.Found it when I was out walking last year.
24-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, that's a good 'start' ! Thank you

please see <A HREF="http://www.bbhmg.co./14mem.htm">www.bbhmg.co./14mem.htm</A>
24-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh Fricassee,,
shud bee

<A HREF="http://www.bbhmg.com/14mem.htm">www.bbhmg.com/14mem.htm</A>

Sorry
24-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I havent got my copy to hand, but I feel sure there is a map and pics in "Racing round the Island"

Incidentaal, my copy of that book is covered in autographs. Ths last one being Hissy. I got that at Hillberry in practice last year. The day that we lost DJ......

One autograph I have is Agos. But imagine my amazement when I got a Manx note in chane last year...with Agos autograph on it!!

Going back to the car races on the Island, there is a good quiz question in the book....the first racing machnie to land on Manx soil?

The other interesting thins is about the "lorries" racing. Actually, cars with a high profile. I kind of screen across the middle of the car.
Interesting topic, Ian, as usual!

Mike
24-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ian, I have photocopies of all the differing circuit that were used. See you in a couple of weeks time.
24-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 70 years ago - trivia question
Here's one for the trivia wizards on this site.

One of my heroes was a sidecar star 70 years ago. He was known by his nickname - Hoppy.

Who was he?

Hint #1 He was known for his immaculate appearance and style.

Hint #2 It was rumoured that he occasionally partnered with another of my heroes, Edgar Jessop.
24-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could it be Daddy H by any chance, Stanislaus of Oxfordavia ??

We know who we mean !!!
24-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 57 years ago
Thanks all of you...All quick responses and no mistake..All very helpful

I have, until I see people, used bitmap to adapt a course I found thanks to one kind gentleman..

I note that the plot thickens, for the original course I used, was named the "GP" course round about 1937---Can anyone fill me in on this statement on a course, similar to the Mannin, but joining at the TOP of Bray, instead of at the bottom missing out York Road altogether.

I remember in my early days (1947--1950+) seeing racing cars on the docks in Liverpool either going or coming back from the Island...In what were they racing ? I have photos of Coopers etc on trailers etc.

I have found so much in my loft recently, I am really wanting to identify it all.

HELP !!
24-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian, I know I'm getting off the track here but can you tell me a bit about Barre Lyndon please. I always assumed he only wrote novels. It's just that my cousin was named after him and I am curious. Thanks in advance.
24-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 57 years ago
Ian,

could they have been hill climb cars?
I dont know how far back the old Tholt-y-Will event goes.

Mike
25-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You got it in one!

The prize is a pint of your favourite brew at the TT, but I can't say what year it will actually be awarded LOL!!
25-05-2004, 07:33 PM