Oliveira and Syahrin wrap up first test of 2019 with strong improvements
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Oliveira and Syahrin wrap up first test of 2019 with strong improvements
[Image: Tech3LOGO.jpg]

Following some intense days at the Sepang International Circuit, the Red Bull KTM Tech3 duo rounded out the pre-season test in Malaysia today with significant steps forward. While comparing different geometry settings and tyres, Miguel Oliveira lowered his pace from Wednesday by a full second, braking the 2-minutes mark while doing 38 laps today and 158 laps in total over the course of the official test. Moreover, the MotoGP rookie missed out on the top KTM rider by just 0.309 seconds.

Further Hafizh Syahrin was speeding up by 1.093 seconds related to his fastest time yesterday during an impressive morning. Like his teammate, the local hero tried different tyres, plus spent some time working with various settings today. Overall, he completed 123 laps from Wednesday to Friday, with 21 laps on the clock at the ultimate day in Sepang, before heading over to Qatar, where the Red Bull KTM Tech3 riders will be back testing in a fortnight.

[Image: OliveraTesting2.jpg]

Miguel Oliveira - Position: 19th – Time: 1:59.672 – Laps: 61

“The lap time was ok. It was not as fast as I expected, because I couldn’t match the best configuration of the bike with the best tyres in the best moment, but in any case, I’m very close to the two KTM factory riders, closer than everybody expected. I guess, this is the biggest positive point these days. We have been really competitive with used tyres, which is good for the race. At the moment, I can see a clear step forward, still I feel we didn’t extract the maximum of what we have, so I think it’s about going to the Qatar test, taking the experiences from these three days and just trying to be another step better.”

Hafizh Syahrin Position: 21st – Time: 2:00.766 – Laps: 21

“We improved a lot compared to yesterday, were better in turning and on the brakes. The lap time is significantly faster than before, but still a bit far from the top. During this last day, I felt really good with the bike, but my physical condition was not ideal. After four full days of riding, the muscles in my arms were too hard and I was lacking some power. To be honest, I am a bit disappointed about myself for this, as the bike was truly great for this last day and I couldn’t fully use it. Anyway, I’ll try to do my best during the Qatar test before the start of the season, we are on a positive way and for sure we can be better.”

Hervé Poncharal - Team Manager

“Overall this test in Sepang has been fantastic, a great feeling. We had the luck to be one of the concession teams. We did two days of shakedown test, two days rest and three days with the whole grid here. Clearly, I think it was important for us as a KTM team to go through a lot of laps because we’ve got so much to try. This is what we did. What I would like to point out is a big thank you to everybody inside the KTM factory for what they have done during the very short period we had since the last time we were on the bike end of November. The bike has changed really dramatically. Our riders feel so much more confidence, they can give a lot more accurate information. Clearly, I think both, Miguel and Hafizh have enjoyed and I assume, gave some really valuable comments and information to the KTM engineers. The fact we have five guys here, all of them pushing each other, all of them improving each single day, has been a very good sign. There is an incredible energy inside the whole orange group and we are proud to be part of that group. Just now, we can’t wait to be in Qatar, honestly, because if you look at Miguel for example; each single run, each single day has been better and better. Still there is a gap to the top guys, but I’m sure we can reduce that. We want to continue working, testing and improving. So, it was a great, great test. It was very tough for the organism of the riders, but also of every single team member. Anyway, we go home exhausted, but with a big smile on our face.”

08-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Website Find Reply