Coronavirus affects on TT - Government Statement & Comments
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
The Corona virus.
The virus is spreading more and more. No one knows now but I wonder about the forum members opinion. Is there a risk that the TT 2020 will be stopped by the virus?
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
26-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: The Corona virus.
I've been back home ioM a few times recently and haven't picked up any upcoming resrictions yet, have though just seen that the Irish govt doesn't want the upcoming Ireland / Italy rugby match to be played in Ireland.
26-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Coronavirus affects on TT - Government Statement & Comments
[Image: CoronaVirusStatement.jpg]

Future contingency scenarios being considered

Government has released a statement regarding the affect of the coronavirus on this year's TT.

It reads:

‘The Isle of Man Government is carefully monitoring the Island’s position regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus) with a cross-government working group established to regularly review the changing situation.

While the threat to the public in the Isle of Man remains low, a number of future contingency scenarios are being considered. This is usual practice and is in line with the WHO advice for preparations in case of a pandemic.

The risk is low and preparations for this year’s TT remain on schedule. Work will continue as usual in order to ensure another successful TT.

The Department, in partnership with Government and in line with experts in the UK, will continue to monitor the situation.

There is regularly updated information available at http://www.gov.im/coronavirus

Further afield, the outbreak has now killed twelve people in Italy, and spread to Austria, Croatia, Switzerland and Paris.

(This post was last modified: 26-02-2020, 02:11 PM by Malcolm.)
26-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Website Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
RE: The Corona virus.
As long as the virus keeps spreading they should consider calling off the TT, maybe give it another month and if the virus is continuing to spread then call it off IMO anyway, I'm no medical professional but I see this getting worse before it gets better.
26-02-2020, 01:37 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Coronavirus affects on TT - Government Statement & Comments
I'm in Thailand as I write. Iv been travelling for the last 3 weeks and at no point have there been any checks at any airports. I'm due back in the UK end of next week. It will be interesting to see if I get any checks when I land
26-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Find Reply
boon345 Offline

Threads: 15
Will we get a full refund if its called off,as most people have paid in full for boat, hotel,camping, home stay
26-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
(26-02-2020, 07:16 PM)boon345 Wrote: Will we get a full refund if its called off,as most people have paid in full for boat, hotel,camping, home stay

Don't think so. Probably it will be a force majeure.
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
26-02-2020, 10:25 PM
Website Find Reply
ian333 Offline

Threads: 2
Everyone needs to take a deep breath. All the replies seem to indicate an inevitability the TT will be cancelled. There is a long way to go. I am pining my hopes on the virus being contained and the warmer weather reducing its effectiveness. It will get worse but then hopefully it all gets better before the TT would consider being cancelled.
27-02-2020, 02:11 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I know it's a different beast, but how late in the day was the 2001 cancellation for Foot & Mouth?

This thing is still in it's infancy so time will no doubt give a clearer picture of the "right" thing to do.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
27-02-2020, 11:26 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
2001 was called off on 24th April (https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/...otandmouth),
 I have found an article from March 16th of 2001, indicating it could be cancelled (https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/isl...h-disease/)
That's as far as I've got with my research! 
 here's hoping we don't have  a repeat! Crossfingers
(This post was last modified: 27-02-2020, 02:33 PM by captainsparkledotcom.)
27-02-2020, 02:32 PM
Website Find Reply