Michael Rutter's memories of his dad's TT exploits
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Rutter's memories of his dad's TT exploits
[Image: Rutters1.jpg]
Michael Rutter holding his father Tonyâs crash helmet in the warm-up area in his TT comeback
from serious injury in 1987. Michael was just 15 then - he made his own TT debut seven years later in 1994 JW

Michael Rutter first attended the TT as a one-year-old in 1973.

’We stayed at the Rutland Hotel for about 20 years. It was like another home to us,’ said Michael.

’I wasn’t that bothered about the bikes when I was young, but I loved the slot machines in the arcade on the promenade. I was hooked on them.

’I stayed there one day listening to the race commentary on the radio and dad actually won!’

Michael missed some of his school exams when at the TT.

’Dad always loved the 350 - it was his favourite bike to ride round here. He wasn’t that keen on the 750 or 600. And never really gelled with the 250 either.

’He could ride most things, but like me - if he didn’t get on with it would struggle with his confidence.

’That said, he obviously did well on the F2 Ducatis - which were 600s - but he hated the factory bike in 1985.’

What stood out to Michael was his dad’s enjoyment of being able to race the TTagain after his accident in Spain.

’Sadly, he was nowhere near the rider he had been. If it hadn’t been for his injuries I think he would have carried on past 1991.

’I remember being in pit lane in 1987 when he made his return. It was my most terrifying experience.

’He was stubborn, but his biggest worry was a lack of full vision as he still couldn’t see properly after the accident. Nerves had been detached at the back of his eye.’

Tony was supportive of his son when he made his TT debut in 1994, three years after he had quit.

’I’d been here a lot over the years, but hadn’t seriously studied the course,’ admitted Michael. ’I’d been round in a van, but it was a real eye opener on the RC45 Honda. It was the wrong bike to debut on.

’Luckily I had people like my Medd Honda team-mate Robert Dunlop, plus Hizzy and Phillip McCallen on the factory RC45s to advise me.’

He said that his father’s biggest concern was machine failure on fast road courses, so he rode within himself at the TT and NW200.

Tony started alongside Mike Hailwood in the latter’s comeback years. ’He had his hat nailed on that day,’ he commented. ’And he was only using half the road.’

Michael thanked people for their messages of condolence. ’The funeral service was obviously very limited. We’ll do something later in the year.’

It would be nice to see Tony celebrated at the Classic TT.

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]

20-04-2020, 08:29 AM
Website Find Reply