Spa Francorchamps
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spa Francorchamps
Did anyone go to the Bikers Classic at Spa? Although not as big as the Cenntenial at Assen a few years ago. I went with TT winners & 50cc World Champion Ralph Bryans & Con Law 3 days of nostalgia and spine tingling sounds from a multitude of MV's Gilera's Paton Yamaha MZ's & the 4 cylinder CZ, 50cc Jamathi kreidler etc.The riders present was like who's who of World champuonship racing.We shared a garage with Freddie Spencer,Randy Mamola,Kevin Schwantz & the ever popular Luigi Taveri.Also present were Massetti,Ubbialli,Venturi,Duff, Motohashi,hard man Heinz Rozner, De Vries,Anderson,Rod Coleman,Surtees,Mertens,Freymond,Sarron Lazzarini,
Read,Hartog,Ankone & many more.It was an event to remember with steam coming out of the camera.Also had over 130 photos signed, thanks Bill your a star at such short notice.We made sure there was a copy for all the riders.Motohashi's face as he was given 4 TT photo's of himself on the 125 & 250 works Yamaha 4's was a picture in its self.
Congratulations to the organiser's for putting on such an event.
17-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Spa Francorchamps
Now that has completely ruined my day. Envy is a terrible thing.
18-08-2004, 08:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow!
I do wish I could have gone to that!!

One thing that suprised me in all that was your
mention of Wil Hartog.
Somehow, I thought we had lost the Dutch giant.
So, that was good news!
I presume some of this will be on a website
sometime.

Mike
18-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

With alittle help, I found the following.

<A HREF="http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/index2.html">http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/index2.html</A>

thought some of you might be interesetd!

Mike
19-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would someone kindly tell the year that the motorcycle GP was finally run on the "proper" Spa circuit please. And while you're at it, the fastest lap time/speed. I seem to remember Phil Read lapping at 137mph on the MV.

Is this a figment of my imagination?
23-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the last year in which the old Spa ciruit was used for the motorcycle belgian GP was 1978 (last year for F.1 car GP: 1970). In 1977 Barry Sheene lapped it at an average of 137.15 mph. This still is - and it will remain for who knows how much time! - the fastest lap in motorycle GP history. Actually the fastest track used for motorcycle races is Dundrod.

Incidentally, Jo Siffert lapped the old Spa circuit in 1971 on a Porsche at an average of 162 mph!
25-08-2004, 09:12 PM