Taylor Mackenzie returns to Bathams Racing as Cooper continues recovery
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Taylor Mackenzie returns to Bathams Racing as Cooper continues recovery
[Image: TarranMacKenzie1.jpg]

Bathams Racing has announced that Taylor Mackenzie will be returning to the team to spearhead BMW’s official entry in the 2021 Pirelli National Superstock Championship.

Mackenzie finished runner-up in the 2019 Championship on the “Bathams Prize Winning Ales” sponsored BMW S 1000 RR with four victories and nine podiums, and now re-joins the team alongside Richard Cooper.

Cooper who has been National Superstock champion twice, continues to recover from the injuries he sustained last season and will not race until further progress has been made with his rehabilitation. He remains part of the team and will be actively supporting Mackenzie at race events and testing.

Mackenzie said:

“After last season, I wasn’t sure if I’d get a ride for this year, so to be back at Bathams Racing where I know I will be able to fight for victories is fantastic. I got my leg injury sorted during the winter, and I know that with the help of Dan Linfoot, the guys at Bathams Racing got the BMW S 1000 RR flying by the end of last season. I know it sounds obvious, but I really can’t wait to get back on the bike and start enjoying my racing again, it can’t come quick enough!”

Cooper said:

“It would be easy to say that deciding not to start the season was a difficult decision, but the truth is, it wasn’t. My leg is recovering nicely, but I’ve been around long enough to know that it isn’t 100% right, and to race at the front at this level you’ve got to be in peak physical condition.

“The decision to skip the start of the season was also made easier by Michael Rutter and Matt Batham being so supportive and happy to let me take as much time as I need, so a big thanks to them. Even though my bike won’t be at the first few meetings, it will still be good to be trackside with the team.”

Michael Rutter concluded:

“It’s safe to say that 2020 didn’t work out how we hoped for lots of reasons, but I must say straight away, that it’s all down to our sponsors for sticking with us, that we’re able to not only go racing in 2021, but to do so with such a strong rider line-up and support from BMW.

“In particular our title sponsor Bathams Ales whose pubs have been closed for the best part of a year deserve a special mention. It is true that the cancellation of the TT and Northwest 200 last year and this year has saved us a lot of money, but it is also true that 2020 wasn’t a great time to be a brewery; Their passion for the sport is remarkable.

“Having Taylor back in the team is a real scoop for us, and Richard’s commitment to helping the team succeed has blown me away. However, I’m sure like everyone else I’m looking forward to seeing him back on one of our bikes on track. As for me, I’ll be supporting Taylor by entering selected races to lead the development of the new BMW M 1000 RR, and the plan is to race at Macau at the end of the year.”

[Image: BSBlogo.jpg]

06-03-2021, 03:35 PM
Website Find Reply