Geoff Cannell dropped as TT Press Officer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geoff Cannell dropped as TT Press Officer
It is reported in today's Manx Independent that Geoff Cannell's contract as TT and MGP Press Officer, which expired on 30th September, is not being renewed.

Tourism Minister David Cretney is quoted as saying "As part of a wide review of the way the Department's resources are best utilised to support the TT it has been decided that a year-round, salaried Press Officer post was not justified. It has therefore been decided not to renew Geoff Cannell's contract, which expired on September 30th. A designated Press Officer will be appointed for the TT in good time for next year's event and it is likely that additional assistance will be obtained on a freelance basis from an appropriate journalist or journalists."

Geoff Cannell is quoted as saying "I really think it possibly dates back to the difficulties we had between Manx Radio and Energy FM. I've never heard of an international sporting event that doesn't have a Chief Press Officer."
07-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Geoff Cannell dropped as TT Press Officer
David can you drop me your email address please.

Cheers.
07-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back stabbers? i think Geoff may be outspoken but he doesnt deserve this i know a lot of fans missed him this year, ok some didnt but you do not kick a man when he is down.
07-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

"and now the end is near"
no press officer this is the start off the cut backs that will finish the TT but Mr Cretney issues more info about parades and the like with his address on ! it pity he aint got time to do the job he was elected to do not PR for the TT
Maybe then his department would of known the rules before handing out grants
No doubt alot of this is to do with the Manx Radio row this year but that dont matter as that is being run into the ground by the new managment with i belive 5 people leaving their employment in the last months.
Geoff did a good job but it is obvious he will never get back now maybe he annoyed someone when he was an MHK
I hope that the NewRadio M3 gets the contract for next years races then we may get a decent report not the cr*p we were fed this year
07-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

125's 250's 400's (never liked four strokes ) and now Geoff has been ousted? )
They got rid of the ACU (great job ) but the people up for Geoffs position probably dont know who won last years races.
Politics or what????
Lets have a poll, cos racing is finished for this year.
Come on guys lets support a guy who knows what's happin. No disrespect to Chris Kinley who done a great job TT and MGP, respect to you all.

Cheers

Tel
07-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

07-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Geoff Cannell
The more you think about it, the TT as we knew it really did end in 2000 didn't it !

There is hardly anything left of the original 20th century TT, and now the Canny Cannell is relieved of his duties as well. What's to become of it all ?

Thanks Geoff for your help and friendship over
the years.

Sad day.
08-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's worth bearing in mind that the reason cited for removing Geoff from the TT commentary team was around the conflict with his CPO duties.

Now this has been removed, and the individual at Manx Radio who was generally believed to have masterminded the ill conceived plan to remove him has also left his position.

Potentially, the way may be open for Geoff to return next year, without Manx Radio being seen as making a complete climb down or U-turn.

We certainly need Geoff back.
09-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geoff did a great job at TT maybe too good?
09-10-2004, 11:47 PM