Steve Hislop Memorial
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve Hislop Memorial
David Annand, the leading Scottish sculptor, has been commissioned to produce the Steve Hislop memorial statues. As you may already know one will be placed on Douglas Head, and the other will be close to the statue of Jimmy Guthrie, which already stands in a park in Hawick.
I visited the Memorial Room in Hawick a few days ago, and it is very moving. Don't miss it. It will close at the end of October.
10-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Steve Hislop Memorial
I was at the memorial display in Hawick last month it is a great tribute to Hizzy'z racing career and an insight into the man & his life as he grew up to become the champion he was.

As Helen says the exhibition closes soon so don't miss it !
10-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spotted your name in the visitor's book, Guy! Had a wee laugh at some of the things. It really is about the whole Hislop family, and about all of Steven's life...spot the "O" levels!!
10-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hadn't realised this was only a temporary exhibition at Hawick.
Do you know if there are plans for a permanent display to "celebrate" Steve's life and achievements in the town,in addition to the statue?
I think it would be only fitting for such a worthy champion.
Regards,
Chas.
10-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not as far as I know. Most of the exhibits are family possessions, and I imagine they are being kept safe for the boys when they are older. However, I do know that Hawick Council used money from the Common Good Fund recently, to buy the last set of leathers Steven used, so they may be permanently shown. Hawick has a proud history of world renowned sportsmen, in rugby as well as motorcycling, and there is a small exhibition running just now on that theme.
10-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where on Douglas Head is it to be sited ??

It seems a very strange place to put a memorial to a top TT rider...

Surely a place on the course would be more apt to the memory of Steve.

I would have recommended the 11th milestone (a favourite of Steve) or on the 19th, his number on the Norton Rotary. He did not lose his life on the course but he is a special case. After all Geoff Duke has been given the 32nd milestone and Joey the 26th.

We could pay homage to Steve while lapping the course.

He'll be a bit lonely on Douglas Head..

It is only my opinion but I hope I have support in this matter.
10-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is the choice of his family. I think it is a place he looked out from, near where he lived?
10-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last 4 words was tosh...he didn't live on Douglas Head...I think the idea is that he is looking towards Scotland.(Its a bit late at night for me!) You'd have to ask his family, really.
He would be amazed at the idea that, in Hawick, he will be standing beside that great hero of his, Jimmy Guthrie...there are two pictures of him, one as a small boy, and the other as an adult, at the Guthrie Memorial on the Isle of Man.
10-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was meant to be on Onchan head where Steve lived very close to, but dont think Kelly was that keen she also said it should be somewhere on the course, and I for one tend to agree with her.
11-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back in February Kelly posted on RRR that a memorial was to be built at Port Jack something she was not very keen on as she also felt (as I do) the memorial should be on the course.

Hope it's ok to quote here part of Kelly's post..

"I had hoped it would of been in or around Braddan Bridge, he loved watching there and took the kids to watch TT/MGP every year Plus Braddan Church was very dear to us as both of our kids were christened there.

I'm going to make some enquiries and see if anything can be done about it.

Just seems stuoid that Port Jack has no relevance to Steve hislop in any way."

11-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sure it is not going to be at Port Jack. I must stress, it was family members who told me this.
11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Taking into consideration what everyone has said, Steves memorial should therefore be near the Guthrie Memorial on the Island if "he" is to be next to the one in Hawick.

Ah well, it is the families decision we must respect, but after all is said, he was a TT rider and famous motorcycle racer and it would have been nice to commemorate his love and involvement with the course that made his name known to millions of fans by having at least a plaque or a vantage point named for him.

I will now cease my part of this string.

11-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

11-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

11-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Kelly, for sorting that out.
I was obviously "havering" as we say here. I suppose the important thing is that we remember Steve, although I don't think anyone in this discussion needs anything to remind them. He will always be in our hearts.
Best wishes to you and the boys.
11-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

No worries, just to let you know also, that the Memorial Room in Hawick is closing, but only for the season, so no need to panic as it will be opening again next Spring for all those wishing to go. It truely is a great experience, but be prepared... it does take your breath away.

Kelly & Aaron & Connor Hislop. x
11-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kelly,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify the situation.

I'd imagine that most of us like you would have preferred to see a memorial to Steve on the TT course.
However, given your explanation as to why that isn't going to be possible and the close proximity of the memorial to the new TT museum together with Steve's links to Onchan, a memorial there now seems entirely appropriate.

I will certainly look forward to visiting it next time I'm on the island.

Regards to you all.

Guy
11-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very good news too about the exhibition re-opening. I didn't know that, and I know a lot of people haven't managed to see it yet. Mary and I will definitely be going back.
Thanks for your help. XX to the boys
11-10-2004, 03:48 PM