Legendary DJ John Peel has died
Anonymous
Unregistered

Legendary DJ John Peel has died
It was a great shock to me tonight to hear of the sad death of John Peel. Especially perhaps for my age group 40/50 somethings,who grew up listening to him on the radio. His great enthusiasm of motorcycling was always in evidence as he talked about his love of motorcycling and especially the Isle of Man TT racing. In fact this was one of the memories that Andy Kershaw mentioned in his tribute to him tonight on the BBC evening news.
Sad news indeed and deepest sympathies to his family, friends and many fans around the country.
Stella

26-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Legendary DJ John Peel has died
Yes Stella, being one of those who also grew up listening to his dulcet tones on the radio and enjoying his choice of music, I was saddened to hear of his death. :-((
26-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Legendary DJ John Peel
I would also like to record my sorrow at the passing of John Peel who played many a great tune on his progs over the years.

He enjoyed motorcycling which is just one of the many good things in his favour.

26-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Legendary DJ John Peel
He will be missed by many great musicians, who would never have been "discovered" without him, and his appeal reached people of his/our ages, but also was still fresh and appreciated by today's youn people. We will miss him..hope he's enjoying those "Teenage Kicks" and chatting to Joey
26-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read today about the sad loss of John Peel. He was a true icon and he deserves all the praise he receives for his outstanding contribution to Rock History.

NOTE: This posting has been edited by myself (Malcolm) as it really has no place on this board apart from the part above that has been left here.

I would suggest that if the person who made this posting feels so strongly about the views that were expressed, then he should make them on a more appropriate Bulletin Board and not this one.

Personal vitriolic attacks on individuals (famous or otherwise) will not be tolerated on here.
27-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was saddened by Johns death and appalled by this last message.
So many memories of John Peel over the years.
I will remember him most for his championing of the then Tyranosaurus Rex.
His dulcet tones and very distinctive voice will always be evocative of that era.
The fact that he loved the TT just adds to his persona.
What did Andy Kershaw say?
"I will alwasy remember going to the TT with John. Crouching in a field in the pouring rain. Watching Irish midgets entertai us around the course." We can all relate to that.
Johns passing is yet another reminder of our own mortality tho. Lets all determine to enjoy life and especially the TT to the full!
RIP John.
One of the greatest ever scousers.
Mike
27-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

were you a bolan / took fan as well then mike?
there can't have been many of us! can there?
ade!
27-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

and here's a coincidence mike: steve peregrine took died this day, october 27th 1980.
ade!
27-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, indeed i was! so thats you, me and John Peel!
All riding a white swan. Doo de do da da!
Happy days.

Mike

27-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

John Peel, i remember him, in the days when you could listen to Radio 1!, and i knew he was at the tt one time , and thanks to above postings, memories come back to me , Does anyone remember another top Radio 1 DJ , who visited the TT , iI think his name was; Empero Roccos, or something to that nature.
30-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Certainly Andy Kershaw has been here many times, he was spotted in Tesco a few months ago. Could Emperor Rosco have been on the staff of Radio Caroline North, which was anchored in Ramsey Bay?
30-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

i remember emperor rosco was a dj on radio luxembourg for a while
31-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

ah think you are right there geoff, it wasnt radio 1, itd a long time ago though,
31-10-2004, 05:09 PM