The Forum / The Future
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
RE: The Forum / The Future
Thanks for the compliment, but it's all credit to the new owner now.
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
15-09-2022, 06:32 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of Malcom he put a lot of time and effort into this forum I didn't know him personally but the bit I did have with him on occasions he was extremely helpful. 
       RIP Malcom you will be sadly missed.
15-09-2022, 10:22 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
Chris thanks for your hard work too and at 71 I too am a technophobe I have to rely on people like your good self to sort problems like this out and if there is a fee to pay i will also chip in once again a big thanks for your hard work 
                        .regards Richard
16-09-2022, 07:13 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I recall having a bit of correspondence with Malcolm a year or so ago (i was just inquiring about if I was infringing anyone's copyright with a photo I was posting). As part of the conversation Malcolm alluded to the amount of work it was taking him to keep posting information (press releases and the like) to keep the forum alive. The general drift of contributors to social media type platforms having drawn down the volume of posts. He also said that he had a fair bit of work (sometimes unpleasant) in moderating the forum.

Hopefully the new owner has the energy to maintain/continue Malcolm's labour of love.
Warning Level 0% since 2006
30-09-2022, 03:31 AM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
I heartily agree with your last sentence Sam.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
03-10-2022, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
sculptor Offline

Threads: 4
(07-09-2022, 04:12 PM)Chris_Sav Wrote: Pleased to say the contact proved fruitful and helpful and I have heard from Malcolm's relatives.

I am given to understand that all is in hand thankfully.

I'll take a step back now!

Chris

Well done Chris.  This was always the most readable TT site so belated thanks to Malcolm wherever he may be. Like many on here I never had the pleasure of meeting him but was an avid reader whenever I needed a TT 'fix' . Condolences to his family
04-10-2022, 04:04 PM
Find Reply
milestone 11 Offline

Threads: 8
Shocking news, RIP Malcolm, my sincerest condolences to his family and friends. Thanks Chris for all you have done and continue to do. Appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 12:51 PM by milestone 11.)
08-10-2022, 12:49 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
(30-09-2022, 03:31 AM)Sam Pato Wrote: I recall having a bit of correspondence with Malcolm a year or so ago (i was just inquiring about if I was infringing anyone's copyright with a photo I was posting).  As part of the conversation Malcolm alluded to the amount of work it was taking him to keep posting information (press releases and the like) to keep the forum alive.  The general drift of contributors to social media type platforms having drawn down the volume of posts.  He also said that he had a fair bit of work (sometimes unpleasant) in moderating the forum.

Hopefully the new owner has the energy to maintain/continue Malcolm's labour of love.

Oh No Sam, due to health issues I have been off the net for some time. I knew Malcolm was ill. We used to correspond privately on FB. I only today sent him birthday wishes. I feel so sad. I have met so many people because of this website. Take care everyone. RIP Malcolm 😪
29-10-2022, 09:44 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

(29-10-2022, 09:44 PM)Jan Grainger Wrote: Oh No Sam, due to health issues I have been off the net for some time. I knew Malcolm was ill. We used to correspond privately on FB. I only today sent him birthday wishes. I feel so sad. I have met so many people because of this website. Take care everyone. RIP Malcolm 😪

Hey Jan - good to know you're still dropping by to the forum from time to time.  We're a dwindling community but the lights are still on and they haven't called last orders yet.

209 days to the start of TT2023..... I reckon we'll all still be here if we can.
01-11-2022, 03:19 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
My daughter was shocked to hear of Malcolm’s passing too. We and a few others met him when we came over from Oz to the TT in 2006. He was so very kind to both of us and he and I kept contact during the following years. He ran this incredible site so very well and I am pleased people have put their hand up to continue the good work in Malcolm’s memory. Well done and thank you.  Keep happy and safe everyone.
Jan from Oz🇦🇺
10-11-2022, 11:00 AM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Just an update.

Firstly and most important the future of the forum is safe.

A delay exists in transferring the ownership of the forum following Malcolm's passing.

Unfortunately we only have very limited low level moderation access to the forum at present. This does not include authoring those waiting on the applications queue, so please bear with us if you have had no reply to your application to join.

We can moderate posts should riskware/spam appear again so don't worry about security as the forum has been upgraded to higher security levels.

Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Best wishes,

Chris
27-12-2022, 01:09 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Been meaning to post this for a few weeks but was waiting for further contact.

I had an email from Malcolm's relative, the current owner of the site. He is looking to sell the site but has no idea of value, neither have I.

The site is sadly out of date and we have none of the usual prep for this year's TT I have offered to take a look and see if it matches any of the sites I have maintained in the past so that I could try to update it and go through the long queue of applications to join but have heard no more.

I don't know if any of the regulars would be interested in making a bid?

PM me if you want to make contact..

Best wishes

Chris
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023, 07:19 PM by Chris_Sav.)
10-04-2023, 07:16 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Hoping to finally talk to Malcolm's nephew this evening.
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2023, 08:44 AM by Chris_Sav.)
13-05-2023, 08:44 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Well done Chris .... excellent work
13-05-2023, 09:56 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Thanks for keeping the place alive Chris - I find it hard to believe its got much value given how little traffic the forum gets these days.

If contributions are needed to cover running costs hit me up with a PM.

Cheers

Sam
17-05-2023, 01:01 AM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Unfortunately I've been unable to make contact recently with Malcolm's nephew, the owner.

I've had the occasional reply to emails to say he will make contact, I have his phone number which is always on answerphone and have left half a dozen messages and have had one text back to say he will ring but he hasn't.

I don't know if, and hope I have not, caused a problem.

I've also swapped emails with the site's original developer.

As far as the site is concerned I have had a look at mybb for the forum software and have taken a look around the public areas of the main site and do not think maintenance will present too much of a challenge, though it will be a lengthy task. Also the queue of new forum applicants is over a year long. However I do not have admin access to tackle either forum or site.

Malcolm's nephew has no understanding of the site maintenance, but the ttwebsite domain name (which the forum sits under) has some value which he wants to sell. The forum itself has no value imho but needs a home to live in. If a new commercial owner buys the domain name ttwebsite, their plans may well not include the forum. I hoped to offer to have a group of us fund the forum in the meantime which should be under £150 per year, thus at least there would be no cost to our owner. The purchase of the ttwebsite domain name is a different one-off matter.

End of June sees the next renewal bill date. I'll await developments now and not pester the owner further.

Chris
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2023, 09:19 AM by Chris_Sav.)
17-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

OK, things are starting to move after all. I have full access to the forum and parent website.

There is a BIG BIG learning curve in this, even worse than starting from scratch as I have to try to understand how Malcolm built the site and the forum.

I am going to have a look around for a day or so but will concentrate on setting up a 2023 TT section when I think I can do it with screwing the lot up.

I'll then look at the newer of the 168 applications to join. Anyone registered but unauthorised reading this then drop me an email on chris.saville(at) outlook.com and I will take a look. Anything smelling of spam will not be authorised and users will be removed if I miss it.

I'm going to need help people! a new management team needs to be built. I need a couple of mods for day to day user and post management. I won't be able to emulate Malcolm in supplying news, that's going to be up to the management team.

Bear with me for a couple of days.

As for the future I still hope to talk to the owner soon regarding his plans and funding. We definitely need a meet on the island.
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2023, 08:18 PM by Chris_Sav.)
18-05-2023, 08:15 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
I'm up for a meet on the island, be great to put faces to posts. I'm there all race week and I'm there at the manx Wednesday to Wednesday.

Non race day would probably be best but post away any ideas etc.

Whilst it might be a learning curve, I'm glad it's you Chris who is running things.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
18-05-2023, 10:11 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

We're lucky to have you Chris.

Hopefully those wanting to join (probably a fair few who lost passwords) haven't lost interest.
19-05-2023, 12:10 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Hi Chris, i'd be up for catch-up at TT, i'll pm you my details ... thanks.
19-05-2023, 06:16 AM
Find Reply