Road racing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Road racing
Would the organisors of the TT, north west 200, Ugp and maybe scarborough get together and set up a championship. What is stopping them? It seems like the most natural thing to do. The duke rankings is good but the internationals must be recognised as the pinnacle of the sport. Alot of the big names only compete in the big races anyway. Its time that real road racing was recognised as a faction of motorcycle sport in its own right. The difference between it and.....
01-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Road racing
(continued) ...Bsb is like wrc and touring cars in car sport. Real road racing should be marketed as an extreme sport with emphasis on the great history and honour that goes with it. untill this happens it will be forever regarded as the aging grandfather of circuit racing. With the right promotion the modern world would be amazed by this sport but the acu have tried for too long to resurrect their memories of the 1960s rather than move with the times.
01-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I good point Ben, it would be great to see a dedicated Real Road Racing "Traveling Circus" develop and thrive.
As the scheme covers several different organisational bodies, I am not sure just how the "Championship" could be planned and governed but there must be a way.
There are also a good few other events that could be added to your initial list.
02-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suggested this many years ago i wrote to PH sugggesting a Anglo- Irish challenge on the same lines as the old transatlantic but i didnt even get a reply? mind you there would be only one winner.
02-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was that not what the original "Continental Circus" and world chamionship motor cycle grand prix was about before it was high jacked by the factories, T.V companies and big money merchandising guys.

Assen, Nurburgring, Hockenhiem, Spa, Ulster and the T.T etc, etc all over the world were all real road races.

Moto G,P and WSB has some brillant talent and the little Italian lad Rossi is in a class of his own but it does not begin to compare with the roads
02-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The various races in the duke rankings system fall under various bodies, so that wouldnt be a problem. I think we should start a big push to fight for our sports own identity. Write to the bike magazines, organising clubs and manufactures and something is bound to happen.
02-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

One problem with Road Racing is that at the TT or the MGP they do not charge to get in and TV does not cover it. From the start there is little income available for redistribution to organisers and for prize money. I cannot speak for the Irish races.
It seems to me that, it is like Madonna, the more exposure - the more popular you become.
If we could only get an IMAX film on the TT or convince a TV company to do a massive coverage one year then it may take off.
You all know what it is like, once you have been to one event, you are hooked for life.
How many people would know about Valentino if the Moto GP were not on TV?

02-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isnt that all to do with a PRESS OFFICER!is for, oh I forgot they sacked him.
03-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps we need another film on the likes of No Limit or do we? road racing and the TT are free from gutter press tabloids EG: Beckam & co.
03-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you wil have to wait till hell freezes over for that!
03-11-2004, 09:10 PM